Q: 91 Olds Ciera Door Alignment / Weld (Long)

Long background:

I hardly drive this car except for trips over so many miles or when I have to carry passengers with me; the loud noise from closing the door hadn't started until after I'd taken it somewhere for a transmission service (where, I'd noticed, they'd replaced the ripped and torn door insulation) about a month ago. So when paying more attention I saw that the notches in the door that should have allowed a pair of bolts on the car (just near the driver's head) to slide into nicely seemed to be 1/2"-1" off their mark, causing the loud banging each time the door physically shut. So since then I've tried to be careful in closing the door and trying to lift when inside and out in an attempt to make it more aligned when it closes.

(Not sure if the place I took it for the transmission accidently did something to it or not, and probably way too late to do anything about it if they did.)

Now the short story, and the big part of the what I really want to know:

So, I finally figure I'd have someone take a look at a body shop for a few minutes today to give me an estimate on realigning the door: Between $65-$600 dollars.

Best case scenario: They check the hinges, pins, realign, and everything is fine.

Worst case scenario: The guy showed me a hairline crack in the weld to the part of the hinge connected to the door (when pulled wide open, it looked to be just about 0.5mm at most). He said if that is starting to crack then aligning the door might just break the weld and I'd have to get a new door (or a used one for between $200-$300) plus labor (about $100-200), and if I needed the door painted to match the car and the locks switched out, there'd probably be more to it than that. (To be quite honest he was the first and only place I went to and I stopped thinking straight when the guy was talking to me because it was the afternoon and I hadn't eaten all day and when I heard "REPLACE THE DOOR", I seemed to just space out.)

I said I'd bring it back Monday to get looked at better, but the one thing that bothered me is that I kept waiting for him to just say, "or we can reweld it, and save you from having to get another door." I didn't bring the subject up, but it's been egging at my thoughts since. I suppose my big question is: Is there something less than adequate with rewelding that section of the hinge back onto the door? I would have almost figured if it was only slightly cracked now that a touch up with a torch could nearly make it as good as new. It's the lower hinge, and IIRC the upper hinge appears to be just fine.

I might end up going around to a few more places and seeing what the general concensus is and see about taking it in either there or elsewhere later on (just use the passenger door for the next few months for as little as I drive it around), but I just keep thinking that replacing the door seems a little extreme overkill, as does the uncertainty of needed a new door or not. Can I do better, or will pretty much any body shop tell me a new door is the only solution to a bad hinge?

Reply to
W. Orr

I'm not familiar with the Ciera hinge but when I got an upper driverside door hinge for my car ( $6 at the junkyard ) all the hinges I saw on the Le Sabres, Bonneville and Old 88 / 98 were bolt on styles.

I put the hinge on myself, got it as close to perfect as I could. A friend of mine that works at a CHevy dealer recommended a body shop they deal with to give the hinge a final tweaking, so the door would close better. It was hitting the striker a little high.

They adjusted the door for free & they worked an hour on it. They installed a shim behind the hinge, banged on the upper & lower hinge with a slide bar, twisted the door with some 5 foot breaker bar and got it to close damn near perfectly.

I'd try another shop if I were you.

If you see two bolt heads going through the hinge into the side of the door, its bolted on.

good luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face