Door opening clunk or popping sound...07 E-class

Has anyone on experienced a popping sound or clunk when opening either of the front doors on a 1997 E-420? When opening either door to the first "detent" position, this sound occurs.

When I had my '83 SEC, I when through this and learned about the "check strap" which is used to as a stop for the door opening. I wound up having it plug welded from the facing/out side and touch-up painted to match. That was then, this is now....

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been down this repair path before. Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts about what causes this and/or how to repair will be appreciated.

Do the rear doors suffer from this ailment eventually?

Thanks in advance..................Hez (Love that V-8 power)

Reply to
Hez Bolton

Hi Hez,

Well... I can't speak about the rear doors, since I prefer cars that only have two of 'em , but from your report it does appear to be a failure of the "door check". The internal spring, track, and detents in MB checks are pretty hefty and unlikely to be the culprit, but the "ears" or mounting tangs can and do break.

I suspect those are what were welded on your previous car's "fix" for the problem. It really is a shame to do it that way though, as the proper repair is cheap and easy. The part costs less than $30 from the dealer (less online), and can be installed by a first-timer in an hour. It does mean removing the door panel to gain access.

Again... my realm of experience on this is confined to my own two-door cars, but here's a photo-chronicle of how I did the procedure on my SL:

Hope this helps!

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

A soft pop/thunk sound is usually the door check... pretty easy fix and about $30 or lower.

A very LOUD pop is because the hinge broke loose where door check is attached to... and that you have to drill in toward the hinge and then spot weld it.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi Tiger, Paul

Thanks for the response. Tiger, I appreciate knowing that the audio signal from the door could be from more than one source. My problem is not from the hinges. Check-Strap it is.

Paul, your detailed description on how you accessed your Check-Strap on your car lets me know what to expect in terms of fasteners and procedures.

All the best to both of you guys..... and anyone else who may have started to respond but got beat out by those who did. When sending out a plea for help, ALL LIFERINGS ARE APPRECIATED BY DROWNING MAN.....

Ciao for now..........Hez of the Pacific NW (97 E-420 purchased just last week / 3 Nov 2004)

Reply to
Hez Bolton