Re: 69 Chevy Woes

I have none...but do have fond memories of the 1968 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe I learned to drive on! Good luck with your question. I x-posed over to the GM NG to broaden the audience.

Oops, I mean 1969 Chevy Custom Coupe. The grandmother had a 1968 Biscayne..learned to drive that too (no power brakes or steering on that puppy though!)
"Ralph D." wrote: (69 Impala w/327)
Issue 1: Blows new condensers at odd times (no pattern). Might take a day... might take a week. Car runs and performs rather well otherwise. They just up and quit.
Some things which make a good condenser fail: High heat, insufficient capacity, mechanical deformation, high-voltage arc from cracked distributor cap or rotor. Marginal insulation quality in a distributor cap may allow arcing inside if a plug wire is disconnected.
Issue 2: Alternator light comes on 5 minutes after parking. The alternator light does not come on while operating nor upon turning off the ignition... only about 5 minutes later. It does come on when the key is turned to on before cranking, so it appears to function correctly. Now and again it drains it's battery, but when testing has no spark when striking a cable to terminal suggesting no grounded short. I think that when the engine is shut down with the points closed it is letting the battery back-feed through the condenser somehow. Suggestions?
It sounds like a gremlin is turning the ignition back on after 5 minutes. This would turn on the dash gauges and activate the ignition points, thereby draining the battery. This could mean a faulty ignition switch or ........ ran out of bright ideas.
Good luck.
Wendy & John.
My 2 Cents......
Issue 1:
Check the wires leading to the coil. One terminal should have two wires, the other goes directly to the points. The one with two wires: one is a resistor wire and will have 12v in the run position of the ignition switch, (the other wire is 12v from the start position). The resistor wire drops the amperage going to the points to prolong their life. If the wire breaks down, too much amperage might be getting thru frying your points( Chrysler used a ballast resistor on the firewall).
Issue 2: If you have the external regulator/reverse current relay, replace it. My '69 Nova had the same problem if my memory serves me...
Good Luck!
T.

I remeber my moms Impala eating up points and condensers. Someone had "fixed "an ignition problem by shorting a bad ballast resitor.