Re: 69 Chevy Woes

In-law has a 69 Impala w/327. He has two problems that he thinks are

> unrelated, but can't explain either. I think they are related... but can't > explain it nonetheless. > > Issue 1: > > This thing started blowing condensers at odd times (meaning no pattern). > Might take a day... might take a week... but sooner or later it will blow > the condenser. These are new, not used and the car runs and performs > rather > well otherwise. They just up and quit. > > > > Issue 2: > > > 5 minutes after parking, the alternator light comes on. The alternator > light > does not come on while operating nor upon turning off the ignition... only > about 5 minutes later. It does come on when the key is turned to on before > cranking, so it appears to function correctly. The Kicker... every now and > again this thing drains it's battery, but when testing has no spark when > striking a cable to terminal suggesting no grounded short. > > > > > Here's what I think... but what the hell do I know: > > > > I think that when the engine is shut down with the points closed it is > letting the battery back-feed through the condenser somehow. I have > absolutely nothing to support that theory except for a guess, and have not > a > clue as to how I would suggest he go about pursuing that theory. And > forget > anyone over there taking anything to a garage as they'd feel like someone > castrated the family jewels at the mere suggestion that among them they > can't fix every problem with every auto. > > Anyhow... They are going to drop a HEI distributor in it and deal with the > light separately, but I'm guessing they'll end up popping modules next. He > says he has another alternator around, but I'm wondering if there isn't > something external to it involved. > > > > Suggestions? > >

I have none...but do have fond memories of the 1968 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe I learned to drive on! Good luck with your question. I x-posed over to the GM NG to broaden the audience.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Oops, I mean 1969 Chevy Custom Coupe. The grandmother had a 1968 Biscayne..learned to drive that too (no power brakes or steering on that puppy though!)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

"Ralph D." wrote: (69 Impala w/327)

Issue 1: Blows new condensers at odd times (no pattern). Might take a day... might take a week. Car runs and performs rather well otherwise. They just up and quit.

Some things which make a good condenser fail: High heat, insufficient capacity, mechanical deformation, high-voltage arc from cracked distributor cap or rotor. Marginal insulation quality in a distributor cap may allow arcing inside if a plug wire is disconnected.

Issue 2: Alternator light comes on 5 minutes after parking. The alternator light does not come on while operating nor upon turning off the ignition... only about 5 minutes later. It does come on when the key is turned to on before cranking, so it appears to function correctly. Now and again it drains it's battery, but when testing has no spark when striking a cable to terminal suggesting no grounded short. I think that when the engine is shut down with the points closed it is letting the battery back-feed through the condenser somehow. Suggestions?

It sounds like a gremlin is turning the ignition back on after 5 minutes. This would turn on the dash gauges and activate the ignition points, thereby draining the battery. This could mean a faulty ignition switch or ........ ran out of bright ideas.

Good luck.

Wendy & John.

Reply to
Wendy & John

My 2 Cents......

Issue 1:

Check the wires leading to the coil. One terminal should have two wires, the other goes directly to the points. The one with two wires: one is a resistor wire and will have 12v in the run position of the ignition switch, (the other wire is 12v from the start position). The resistor wire drops the amperage going to the points to prolong their life. If the wire breaks down, too much amperage might be getting thru frying your points( Chrysler used a ballast resistor on the firewall).

Issue 2: If you have the external regulator/reverse current relay, replace it. My '69 Nova had the same problem if my memory serves me...

Good Luck!

T.

Reply to
Terry Mosley

I remeber my moms Impala eating up points and condensers. Someone had "fixed "an ignition problem by shorting a bad ballast resitor.

Reply to
Jimmie