Re: Don't compare the PT Cruiser to a Gremlin

> I'm sure those were fine cars for their day, but they can't compare to > the performance and versatility of new cars like the PT Cruiser GT. > > Here are some times for those old nostalgic cars for 0-60 and 1/4 > mile: > ...Of course, the Gremlin was a joke: > 1977 AMC Gremlin X 17.9 20.8 (
)

A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the smallest engines available?

Bill Putney

Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was

181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything else back then was so HUGE.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Woa! All I knew about was the 304 - borrowed a friends a couple of times. Even that was dangerous in the hands of a youngster! 360 or

401!? I can't imagine.

Bill Putney

FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

Bill Putney

That was my point Bill. You said that you "find those times really hard to believe". I was trying to point out the car wasn't really all that little and similarly powered cars have been offered in recent years.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

the Ford 5.0 is a 302 CI.. it works out to like 4.95l or something so they rounded it up.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

You could also get a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, turbo or nonturbo, an inline six and the 5.0 V8 of course in a mid 80's Mustang.

Reply to
Justin

20 inches is a big difference when it comes to vehicles. A 2003 Neon: 174.4 inches. An Intrepid? 203.7 inches. That's less than 30 inches overall length between the smallest and largest models Dodge made that year.

A 2003 Caravan is 189.3 inches long (the Grand Caravan 200.5). So a Neon is less than 15 inches shorter than a Caravan, and the Intrepid is longer than a Grand Caravanl!

Incidently, a 2WD RAM regular-cab pickup with an 8' box is 229.7 inches long.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Got it - thanks!

Bill Putney

Close enough - 1% diff. Thanks for the info. - it's good to be accurate and precise.

Bill Putney

Ford never made a 305... it's an insult to the 302 (or GM's 67-69 302) to call it such.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

No one called it such. I simply did a conversion from the nominally stated 5.0 liters. I didn't realize it was an emotional number.

Bill Putney

I had the 300 Hz Omega version. Gave off an attractiveand impressive whine when held to the ear. Don't know where it is anymore.

Sigh.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling