'96 SL 42 MPG City!!

I just read an article in Popular Science (or Mechanics) about a guy that is the champ of wringing mileage out of cars with careful driving. I applied some of his techniques for about half of my last tank and got 41.8 MPG driving back and forth to work. All city, bad stop and go on the way home. I usually average 36 MPG with my '96 SL.

I might get real serious for a whole tank and see what I can get it up to.

Reply to
Larry

what issue ws it in?

Reply to
p_vouers

No surprise to me -- I get that kind of mileage (40+ mpg) routinely during the summer in my '99 SL with manual transaxle and no AC but that's about 60% highway 40% city.

Reply to
Steve

No surprise to me -- I get that kind of mileage (40+ mpg) routinely during the summer in my '99 SL with manual transaxle and no AC but that's about 60% highway 40% city.

Reply to
Steve

Come to think of it, I think it was Reader's Digest last month. Sorry, I get so many periodicals........................

Reply to
Larry

It wasn't that, anyway -- just read the RD article last night, no mention of Saturns.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The RD article did not mention Saturns, but told about the guy's driving techniques to get better mileage. I think they were driving hybrids to get 150+ MPG. But you can apply gentle acceleration, timing lights and coasting to any car. I'm not going to the extreme he did, but if I can get 5mpg more by slowing down a bit and driving more smoothly, I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Larry

Well, it is feasible in a base S. Wish they still made these, it's an excellent time for a comeback. We had a '96 base S, roll up windows and stick and averaged 35-40 mpg in the city. Just drive like a grandma, it's easy. I average 33mpg on my stick ION.3 country driving, nno longer live in the city, but would imagine it gets 25-30 in city.

Reply to
marx404

I should hope so -- I'm getting 27+ in city driving in a 99 SL2 with automatic transmission.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My best was when I cleaned my throttle body and opened my spark plug gap to .50

Reply to
p_vouers

On what vehicle/engine?

Reply to
Doug Miller

on all 3 of my saturns, 96 sc2, 97sl2 and 2001 sc2

Reply to
p_vouers