Spark timing off 97 Blazer 4.3L

97 blazer 4.3 vortec 4WD 2dr

I was driving around 50mph when my engine suddenly died. I drifted about 200 feet and parked. I tried to crank my engine but it seemed like my battery had died. I had it towed to my house and figured out that the positive battery terminal was poorly connected for some reason, and that fixed the cranking problem.

Then my car would not start at all. It started to occasionally backfire. I checked my spark plug wires, distributor cap, and replaced my rotor. With help I checked my mechanical timing by finding the TDC of the number one cylinder and checking to see that it is pointing to the number one terminal in my distributor cap. There is also a small arrow that is molded in the distributor body that identifies this position.

My fuel pressure is at about 65psi, and I can smell gas out the exhaust and on the spark plugs, so that was not a problem. I have a good consistent spark from my coil, but the spark is not correctly timed so I receive no spark down my spark plugs. I tested this by placing a copper wire around the thermals in the distributor cap. With the presence of this copper wire I get spark down any of the spark plug wires each time the coil fires. If I remove the wire I will virtually get almost no spark at any of the plugs and when I do it's poorly timed. I have replaced my Ignition control module and the crankshaft position module.

If anyone has the solution to my problem I would be GREATLY appreciated, and I would willing to give a $20.00 to anyone that offers the correct solution. I am a college student so I am on a limited budget and I am really trying to avoid being victimized by a dealer. Thanks for reading. Kory Kendziora snipped-for-privacy@viworld.com

6302935090
Reply to
Kory

Usualy when there is a batt. cable problem some damage has occured to the ecm. Read it for codes.Backfire occurs when unburnt fuel ignites in exhaust system.

Lord Jim.

Reply to
Lord Jim

I don't receive any codes from the VCM. I suspect the possibility that my VCM lost it's code and needs to be flashed, but I am not sure how to test this? Any suggestions

Reply to
Kory

Solution FOUND.

Distributor Cap had carbon lines which shorted to external screws! What a horrible design!!!

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

-Kory

Reply to
Kory