Squeal from oil pan area

I have a 2000 Buick Regal with a 3.8 liter V6. Over the past month it has developed a squeal. The squeal doesn't kick in until the engine is running for about 20 minutes. It then becomes intermittent then finally it is a constant. However when I hold the brake down and give it gas the squeal will temporarily stop. I checked out everything in front of the engine using a stick to try and locate the noise but had no luck. I jacked the car and the noise seems to be coming from the oil pan area closest to the transmission. Does this motor have any problems with main bearings? Could it be the oil pump? Suggestions?

Reply to
bobbo

Has there been any repairs done to the engine recently? Maybe repairs to the upper intake plenum?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'll have to check if there had been any repairs to the plenum.

Reply to
bobbo

While checking the engine I, removed the oilstick and the noise went away. I put it back in and the noise returned. Aftert talking to a few friends, they believe it is the lower intake manifold gasket. Checked it out with a garage and the concur. Thanks to all who replied

Reply to
bobbo

While checking the engine I, removed the oilstick and the noise went away. I put it back in and the noise returned. Aftert talking to a few friends, they believe it is the lower intake manifold gasket. Checked it out with a garage and the concur. Thanks to all who replied

Reply to
bobbo

The reason I asked whether there had been any repairs to the upper plenum was that a missing o-ring on the PCV valve (which happens to be located in the upper plenum) can cause this type of whistling noise.

I'd check that before getting any major work done.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai