Suicide prevention group wants GM ad pulled

Cute commercial except for the suicide bit though.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

I just watched this commercial, and I have to say. I have the utmost respect for people suffering from depression, and there families. I know people who suffer from it, and I have known people who have committed suicide from it as well. It is a *very* difficult disease, and one that can't be cured overnight. However, this is a commercial, and it's a robot. What a world we live in where people will watch the SuperBowl, where there are 300 pound guys beating the crap out of each other, and that's ok. But, if a robot jumps off a bridge, its a big deal.

Reply to
80 Knight

It was an imaginative one for sure but cute? The machine 'thinking' it should kill itself could/should have been left out. Lots of guys lost their livelihood due to being replaced by a robot. I wonder how those affected handled that?

It is a disturbing commercial on a number of levels. While watching it during the game I thought it was interesting animation, right up to the point where the machine jumped off the bridge. That desperate act being glorified by a tv ad was extremely insensitive. I wonder what point GM is attempting to instill in the minds of its workers?

The suicide act was in poor taste and I'm surprised/not surprised the GM ad people let it go......but WDIK!?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

GM has been trying to get rid of costs and cutting older workers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:CQ8zh.43037$Gr2.42832 @newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

GM is owned by stockholders / human labor gets to costly + human labor gets to unreliable + human labor skills dont match up to their egos = build robots = GREAT IDEA!.......right or wrong its simple math.

Reply to
KjunRaven