Tools to swap 99 Cavalier starter.

Our 99 Cavalier decided to have starter failure in a bad place today. I need to get a starter and go out there and change it. It's a 2.2L automatic. What tools will I need? Some good Samaritan poured Coke all over the battery. That should help keep the pack rats out of there:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Bring a hammer. Tap on the starter while your partner turns the key on. You almost always can achieve one more start from a bad starter/solenoid. Drive it home and repair on your turf.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Tried the hammer. The starter motor will not run even if I jump the two big terminals. Makes a frying sound, but that's all.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Please enlighten us as to how that effected the starter?

mike hunt

Big Al wrote:

Reply to
Melvingibson

Mike,

The guy was trying to clean the battery terminals. Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That does not explain how you think doing so would effect the starter.

mike hunt

Big Al wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Stop trying to pick a fight with the guy, go back and re-read both the original post, and then his explanatory post. Come back to the group when you "get it"!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

10 mm wrench or socket for the plastic flywheel cover, 13 mm wrench for the positive cable, 8 mm wrench for the ignition wire to the starter, 15 mm socket for the two starter bolts. There may also be a bracket at one end of the starter that bolts to the block, I believe that the bolt head is 13 mm.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Thanks. You're 100% correct, per usual. Changed it yesterday morning. Was a snap, except I set my 8 MM deep socket on the battery and it rolled off and I can't find it. Even removed the battery, it's part of the car now. Had to tighten the solenoid wire and the battery terminal with a long 8 MM box wrench.

This car has around 60 K miles on it. Seems like the driver is a bit late releasing the starter. She waits about two seconds longer than I would. Bet that has something to do with the starter's short life. The first thing I noticed when I pulled the plastic cover was the teeth on the flex plate. Looks like she also tries to start it with the engine running.

The replacement starter was larger in diameter and longer than the original. It fit, and the car cranks very well.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The point is since it appears the only thing worked on was the battery. He may not actually have a starter problem. Better to find out before he changes the starter for nothing or don't you think so genius?

mike hunt

shiden_kai wrote:

to get a starter and go out there and change it. It's a 2.2L automatic. What tools will I need? Some good Samaritan poured Coke all over the battery. That should help keep the pack rats out of there:)

Al

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Did you file those burrs off the teeth so she won't have the same problem in a month and perhaps need a flywheel next time?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Can't you read? I said, "come back to the group when you get it"! Heh heh....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai