Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Toyota and GM are pretty much neck-and-neck in total vehecle sales, as many news accounts state. I was fustrated by an inability to find a news source that does not play fast and loose with the terms "cars" (excluding trucks) and "vehicles" (including trucks), but obviously GM's sales are a higher percentage of trucks, making Toyota the maker of the most cars.

Reply to
dizzy

Almost no one does that, actually. Most settle for the best compromise that they can afford.

Idiot. That's not even close to being true. "Not the best choice for me" does not equal "junk".

You can't build a logical argument on such obviously false premises as you embarrassed yourself with above, cretin.

GM still sells a lot because of their large "old" customer base and their broad range of products.

Says the proven liar.

In my experience, all brands have their fanatics. Toyota owners are certainly no worse than others, especially in this foreign (to Toyota) country.

The facts say otherwise, "Mike", and you get that "so much more" back when you resell. LOL!

Reply to
dizzy

A freind of mine had a GMC Jimmy, and it was a total POS. It was rusting within a couple years. GM's the worst, from what I've seen.

Reply to
dizzy

You are lying again, "Mike". Check out Consumer reports, and see where all the black dots are. LOL!

Reply to
dizzy

In other words, you couldn't find anyone that agrees with you.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

The only reason Chrysler is still around is because the Germans bought them. If Hyundai buys out GM sometime in the next 10 years (not that I expect it to happen, but simply as a thought experiment) will you consider that to mean that GM is "still here"?

As businesses GM and Ford are both in trouble right now.

Do you remember when Sears was the 800 lb. Gorilla of US retailing? It was not very long ago, and today Sears continues to wander in the wilderness of great businesses. Sears long time nemesis Montgomery Ward is completely gone ... even oil company money couldn't save 'em.

John

Reply to
John Horner

You do realize Kmart bought Sears, right?

Reply to
351CJ

As a matter of fact, I have not heard of the ongoing brake problems with Honda.

My son has owned several Hondas since his first in 1990, and I asked him about the issue. He says he has never had a problem with them.

What are you referring to?

Reply to
<HLS
351CJ wrote to John Horner:

Not to be a fuddy duddy, but I believe Sears bought Kmart. Kmart, unfortunately, went bankrupt. The new combined Sears-Kmart stock is called Sears Holdings.

The old Kmart in Columbia, Missouri, is now a "Best Buy," located right down the street from Circuit City and Walmart.

Reply to
Built_Well

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Nope, K-Mart bought Sears. Sort of surreal isn't it.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It gets kinda confusing. Sears Holdings now uses "SHLD" as its stock symbol. The old "S" that Sears used to use is now used by Sprint, whose old ticker symbol was "FON" -- Sprint-Nextel.

But don't be a chump and start trading individual stocks--even the stock trading professionals are right no more than 50 to 60 percent of the time in their stock-making calls, if even that high. Of course, they'd like you to believe otherwise.

Best thing to do if you have 30 or 40 years until retirement is dollar cost average every month into index mutual funds or index ETFs like an S&P 500 index fund (Vanguard's, for instance, "VFINX") or the ETF equivalent "SPY."

Reply to
Built_Well

Thanks for clearing that up, Tom. Yep, after emerging from bankruptcy, Kmart bought Sears for 11 billion dollars. The new company is called Sears Holdings with stock symbol "SHLD." (Kmart's symbol is history--gone.)

The combined company is now based at Sears headquarters outside Chicago.

The new Sears Holdings operates both Sears and old Kmart stores. Hundreds of Kmarts were converted to Sears. (Info from CNN money.)

Reply to
Built_Well

And how many Toyotas that were built in the 1980's and early 90's do you see still on the road compared to domestic brands?

Personally I think that all manufacturers design and build cars to last no longer than 10 years now before they fall apart. I had a 79' Datsun B-210 that the steering box rotted away from the chassis somewhere around 1988 or so. I was going down the road at the time of failure. I've been skeptical about the build and design of Asian built cars ever since.

I do own at present a 97' Hyundai Tiburon with approximately 195,000 miles on it that hasn't given very much trouble, but when there is a problem I have found that it takes a long time to get parts and they are very expensive compared to domestic parts.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Isn't that what I first posted?

Reply to
351CJ

Think about what you are writing. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal of fewer quality lapse incidents. It is a good thing. When someone pulls the cord, it means that the system has failed and needs to be fixed.

The trick is that you d>>Adam wrote:

Reply to
GLitwinski

Come to think of it, there was one more failure (DOA rear power window). Wow, that's quite a few failures in 5 years.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Too long ago to matter.

Reply to
dizzy

Sorry , that's just not what I see at the Toyota dealer near me . Service department is ALWAYS dead .

Reply to
Dana

Reply to
razz