Why I dislike car dealers

Rats, cockroaches, snakes, car dealers All the lower forms of life.

My daughter bought a new Altima last year from a Nissan/GMC dealer in Windham CT. She has not gone back to the dealer for service, so the dealer sent her a coupon for a free oil change. Nice gesture to get you into the dealership.

Turns out, she also lost a brake light so she figured she would have the bulb replaced while there.

They took the car in, about 30 minutes later the oil was changed and the bulb replaced. They presented here with a bill for $115. The breakdown was 1 hour labor at $95 and $15 for the bulb. She was stunned, but paid it.

Later, she told me about it. I checked her warranty and saw no exclusion for bulbs. I also asked if she was given an estimate and no, none was given. At that point, I knew she was had.

My suggestion was for her to write a letter, but she called the dealership and left a voice message for the owner. He called later in the day and said the charges would be refunded and they she never should have been charged as it was under warranty. He apologized, but I wonder if that is enough. CT law says you must be given an estimate before any work is done.

What concerns me though, how often do they do this to unsuspecting customers?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski