why is cabin filter dirtier than the engine air filter?

Hi,

On a 2010 Buick Lucerne, when replacing the engine air filter and the cabin filter, I've noticed that the cabin filter is much more visibly dirtier than the engine filter. Shouldn't it be the other way around? The engine runs ok but this doesn't make sense.

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

Where is the air intake for the cabin filter? If it is in the cowling, it may be getting a lot of particulate, such as pollen, when the car is sitting and it then gets sucked in when you start the car and the blower goes on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The cabin filter is air from you

Reply to
gosinn

I would guess that the engine sucks in less air than the cabin? Also look of the size of engine air intakes as opposed to the size of cabin air intakes - the size of the vents around the HVAC blower motor (much larger for cabin).

Reply to
Bill