Air filter replacement results

My old air filter was fitted on 22/05/04, and after less than 3000 miles seems that it needed replacing. It didn't look too dirty, until I put it next to a new one, and then it really stood out.

Over the last few weeks I've found that the car has been starting to make a funny ticking kind of noise again. The same ticking noise that I had before replacing the fuel filter. It was only when under load, up hills mostly (probably when the engine needed the most fuel). The noise wasn't too bad, but I changed the air filter today and haven't had the problem since. I think that the noise may be actually comming from the injector, when it can't get enough fuel (petrol or air). Has anybody else noticed similar problems like this.

I suspect that you're all gonna laugh at me, but this is serious. If this is how long air filters are going to last then I may be considering a performance (washable) air filter. They're only supposed to be changed every 2 years or 18,000 miles. The roads I drive on aren't particularly dirty/dusty, and I always try to avoid dusty roads (eg. road works) if possible.

For those who don't know, it's a V reg FIAT Seicento 899cc, 40,000 miles.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I think you're contradicting your self a few times.

1) The engine problem you had wasn't due to the air filter, after all. 2) You didn't drive on dirty/dusty roads, but your air filter was dirty. 3) You diagnosed the the filter was out because it looked dirtier than a new one.
Reply to
Johannes

haven't

Have I?

I can't remember saying that.

Yes, this is one of my points. If I did drive on dirty/dusty roads I would expect it to get dirty quickly, but because I usually drive on 'normal' roads I would expect it to last a lot longer than it has. There is always going to be some dust in the air, and that's obviously how my air filter got dirty.

The air filter didn't look like it needed replacing at first. It was just a dirty colour. When I put it next to the new one though it was quite clear that it needed replacing.

btw, I may not reply to all of these posts because I keep getting banned for too many posts :-(

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

By who ????????

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Google?

Perhaps their ClueFilter(tm) keeps going "Awooga!"

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Google!

Actually I just searched the net, and blocked air filters can produce a ticking noise like my one!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I'd be interested to read how

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Meaning nothing. Air filters go mucky looking very quickly but still have a more than acceptable flow rate. I'd be surprised at any filter lasting less than 10k and most will do 30k without problems under normal road use

If you drive on a dusty unsealed track all the time however then it will have some effect.

Reply to
Chris Street

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Air filters *ARE* this summer's new pink, Daaaahlink.

Reply to
Adrian

Is the ticking noise pinking? I think the car is running rough under load but would be surprised if an air filter that new could cause it.

Wirth regards to the air filter, is it the cheapest one you could find or a decent make? A cheap one will restrict air flow when new and will block faster.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Well, I'm starting to wonder now. My injector seens to have some sort of minor leak (probably petrol). I can remember mentioning it to my dad, but he said it's probably normal. If it was leaking then that could create a ticking noise, and could also create the misfire sound that I get at idle. I read on the net about an Astra which had a similar problem at idle, and somebody suggested that it could be a leaking injector making the mixture weak. New injectors cost hundreds though :-(. I don't really want to replace it. After driving it today I noticed a bit of the ticking sound, but it wasn't enough for me to worry about. When I took it for diagnosis I would've expected them to pick up a faulty injector though.

My last ones were Halfords, but my new ones are genuine FIAT. They look identical, and are the same price, but I got discount on the FIAT ones making them cheaper.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Oh, ffs!

SPi systems on the Cinq / Sei are well known for ticking injectors.

Don't worry about it.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

You're missing the point. It's genetic, encourage him to take his father's advise and spare me the misery of reading his daily gobshite.

Reply to
deadmail

FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow

Sounds about right for your car. As others have said air filters will last AT LEAST 10,000 miles - sounds like your problem is caused by something else, but the symtoms are changed by replacing the air filter. When it's next making the noise, and before you change the filter again, bring it to a FIAT dealer for diagnosis.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

something

No! Not that again. It's already been diagnosed by one place and they said there was nothing wrong, it still cost me =A360 though :-(

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Yeah, it sounds like a typewriter when it's cold, but I know that's normal. I'm not convinced that this 'ticking' is normal, or the misfiring sound at idle.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 4 Apr 2005 05:13:16 -0700:

Either:

Accept there is nothing wrong AND STOP MOANING ABOUT IT.

or

Get something done about it.

In either case, stop moaning about your ticking injectors, pinking and loose cat heat shield... PLEASE.

Reply to
David Taylor

Would your father squirt petrol around the engine bay and think that normal, acceptable or safe? Just wondering....

A petrol fuel injector is basically a solenoid switch. It will make a ticking noise as it turns itself on and off, expecially on a little lightweight car that has sod all sound deadening material.

I read on the net about an Astra which had a

You are assuming it's faulty.....

Reply to
Chris Street