Wiper/Cruise arm

I need to replace the Wiper/Cruise control arm on my dads 89 Pontiac 6000. Can anyone give me the instructions & required tools to do so?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

I've never done it on that vehicle but I've done it on a1985 Chevy and a

1990 Suburban. First, locate the plug where the wires come out of the column. Unplug it and tie a long piece of nylon string to it (the size used for a plumbob works well).

Now, use some electrical tape to tape the plug and string up and make sure it's neat so it doesn't hang up inside the coumn. Now, if it's a plug-in type, pull straight out on the lever. It should come out without too much effort. Slowly pull on the lever while feeding the string into the column.

Once the wires are out, transfer the string and tape to the new lever. GENTLY tug on the string while you feed the wire into the column (be very careful because you don't want to break the wires). If t hangs up, reverse direction and try again. Push the lever into the column (the switch inside the column) and plug the wiring in (after removing the tape and string)

Rich B

If it's like my olds. you twist it forward and pull out.

Reply to
clevere

Thanks for your help. I think all the ones that have wiper & cruise on the same arm are pretty much all the same.

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

I'm kinda thinkin of replacing my turnsignal lever, all the white print for the cruise and wiper controls is all worn off. But I know the positioning of everything , so I don't really need the words.........

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 028 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Forward towards you or the dashboard?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

We've never owned a car where the words were legible on the stalk. My granny's 92 bonneville might've been the exception, but only because she got it brand new.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam Tosi (!?)^2