01 Accord TCS problem

My 01 accord when cold (after sitting outside) displays the TCS light and Check Engine light. The TCS kicks in and will not allow the engine to go above 3k rpm's. The engine idles rough and if trying to accelerate in Drive it feels like a manual transmission that has a clutch slipping. AFter the car warms up and I turn it off then on again, the tcs light is out and the car runs normal. Any idea what might be the problem?

Reply to
heycraig

Get the code read to see why the Check Engine light is being lit. I'll bet the code is P1491. Insufficient EGR air flow. I have the same issue currently. It is sporadic. There is a TSB to address the issue (see my recent thread regarding "Replace or clean EGR").

Reply to
Seth

I ended up taking the car into the dealer. They diagnosed it as an internal problem with the computer. The good news is that it was covered under the CA emissions warranty which is 8 yrs 80K miles. One interesting thing that I found out from the service advisor who originally thought that it might be a transmission problem was that Honda is replacing transmissions on '00 and '01 Accords. I didn't have the time to ask him what the potential transmission problems were. Interesting though that Honda has not sent me a service bulletin or anything about the transmission. Craig

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...

being lit. I'll bet

Reply to
heycraig

They are not changing the transmissions unless needed.

It effects only 6 cyl accords, and the proper fix is a cooling upgrade to

2nd gear in the Automatic transmission. If the transmission has already failed, then the tranny would be replaced under warranty.

The warranty is also extended or the tranny.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

the second gear cooling pipe only applies t 2003-2004 trannys. a p1491 code is for insufficient lift, bad valve. the more likely code is a p0401 insufficient flow. lets get the codes read so we can do a proper diag. Chip

Reply to
chip