03 Pilot transmission failing

In 04, had it in for a recall for a problem with 2nd gear. Now at

54,000 miles, 2nd gear is failing and needs a new trans. Should Honda cover this?
Reply to
mollea

I am not sure of the 03, but most current Hondas have a powertrain warranty that goes 6 years, 60,000 miles, so it MAY be covered.

Check your manual.

If it is not under warranty, call American Honda, and see what they will do, based on service history.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I also forgot to mention: If the recall you are talking about is the same one that covered the Accords and Odysseys, your warranty has been boosted to 108,000 miles for the Tranny. I don't know if the Pilot was one of them, and I am too lazy to check right now, but call your dealer, and they will know.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I would absolutely insist on it.

What's your relationship with your dealer service department? This would be a bad time to tell us, "Screw him and all stealerships, I never go there, it's always a ripoff"--because a good business relationship with the dealer, who has discretionary Honda dollars to take care of good customers on a goodwill basis, would be a good thing to have.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

We have an 03 with 57k miles. There is no extended warranty. It expires at

36k miles or 3 years whichever comes first. 54k is a little early for transmission failure, most of the ones I have read about go at around 100k. The best he can do is talk to his dealer and see if HOnda will at least go 50% on a new or rebuilt transmission. The transmission in the Pilot is it's weak point.
Reply to
tww1491

The recall for the 2nd gear issue also included a 100K 7 mi year warranty coverage on the tranny..

Reply to
L Alpert

We received absolutely nothing from Honda indicating that there was a warranty extension. I will have to write them -- I doubt the dealer will be willing to own up.

Reply to
tww1491

Why?

My dealership is great about these kinds of things--but, as with everything in life, you have to ask.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

-- I doubt the dealer will be

Why wouldn't your dealer want to warrant your trans? He can either get paid by the consumer or Honda to do the trans replacement. What Honda pays is not that much less than the consumer pays. Who cares who pays the bill when you get paid. Would you say the Technician, the Service Advisor, the Service Manager, the Parts counterperson, the Parts Manager, the General Manager and the dealer principal (owner) all have too much money to turn down such a high price job no matter who pays?

Howard

Reply to
Howard

I tend to get answers like -- "I don't know" or in this case "no it does not," which I'll bet is the answer. In the end, I will likely have to write to Honda for an answer. At this point, we have had no problems with our Pilot's transmission. Heck, when I looked at the 06 I4 last year, it seemed to me that Honda had gone to a chain vs a belt for the cams. When I asked the service type, the answer was he did not know, but did not think so.

Reply to
tww1491

tww1491 wrote:

I believe you should have gotten a notification of the extended warranty with your recall notice. There are a couple of numbers supplied below (from

Make / Models : Model/Build Years: ACURA / 3.2CL 2001-2003

ACURA / 3.2TL 2000-2004

ACURA / MDX 2001-2002

HONDA / ACCORD 2003-2004

HONDA / ODYSSEY 2002-2004

HONDA / PILOT 2003-2004

Recall Number: 04V176000 Summary: ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE. Consequence: GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. Remedy: ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238. Notes: HONDA RECALL NOS. P30 (ODYSSEY AND PILOT), P31 (MDX), P38 (ACCORD) AND P39 (ACURA). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Reply to
L Alpert

The letter to the owners says nothing about an extended warranty -- just the recall. From what I have read, Honda felt that it could solve the problem with the oil injector kit and that an extended warranty was unnecessary.

Reply to
tww1491

Call a dealer and verify your model/VIN. Honda absolutely extended the warranty to 108,000 miles on affected vehicles for the transmission.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne