'06 Oddysey Oil Change

The Manual Calls for 5W-20 which is synthetic.

I just paid $27 for 5 Quarts of Synthetic Blend & 1 Filter at Murrays Discount Auto.

Dealer Charges $28 for the Change.

Do Honda Dealers put 5W-20 in on an Oil Change?

Do I have to use this 5W-20 Blend or would 5W-30 do the job?

Thanks In Advance,

-a12vman

Reply to
a12vman

5w-20 isn't necessarily always synthetic.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

What makes you think 5W-20 oil is synthetic. Like a number of grades, some are synthetic, some aren't. The synthetic oils of course are more expensive. Based on my experience with oil changes at my local Honda dealer, they do not use synthetic.

Ken

a12vman wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Ok I made the mistake of listening to the Guy at Murray's, what a bunch of crap!

I will take back the filter and the oil and go to Auto Zone instead, they have non sysnthetic 5W-20.

Reply to
a12vman

Actually it depends on the dealer. The dealer I bought my Honda from started using 5W-20 synthetic blend. Spoke to a mechanic at another dealership and he said they just use 5W-30. Guess it depends where you take it.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Most dealers will do as the factory recommends, but some might not. Just ask!

Some parts stores don't stock many 5W-20 choices as it is still relatively uncommon for DIY, but is becoming more common all the time.

Synthetic blend oils are retailing at around $3/quart which should have been about $15 for five quarts. A Honda size oil filter retails for $2-$6 depending on brand and store. $27 for the whole set sounds high.

Your message is a little confusing as you talk about both Synthetic and Synthetic blend oils. Maybe you got sold a synthetic which at a parts store retails for around $6/quart. Do you live in an area with really cold winter weather? If so, running synthetic in the winter wouldn't be a bad idea. Compared to the cost of your '06 Odyssey, or even the cost of one tank of gas, $27 is nothing!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Ummm, if you say so (but it's not).

Absolutely.

But as you can see, they're not using synthetic oil.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The manual doesn't call for Synthetic, does it? Honda generally doesn't care... 5w-20 is readily available in dino and synth...

For a car that calls for it, yes. They put in what the manual calls for.

Use 5w-20 if that is what is called for. You don't NEED synthetic, but I prefer it, regardless of the oil weight and viscosity...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I was told by the guy at Murray's that 5W-20 only came in synthetic.

Turns out he was wrong. I got a filter & 5 Quarts of non-synthetic 5W-20 at AutoZone for just under $15.

Not a bad deal! Manual doesn't call for Synthetic, just wants it to meet Standards.

Reply to
a12vman

Probably depends on the dealer and the best bulk oil deal they can get. My local claims to use a 5-20W synthetic blend, but who really knows.

Reply to
tww

IMHO, it would be prudent to change your 5W-20 oil/filter under the "severe" schedule whereas if you use synthetic oil it can easily last for a "normal" interval. Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic (on the shelf at WalMart) should be good for at least 10,000 miles between oil changes and likely 50% more than that. I spend the extra bucks on synthetic to reduce the number of oil changes I do. I consider synthetic's other benefits (easier cold weather starts, no thermal breakdown, a little better mpg) secondary.

Reply to
ACAR

Are they using one of the ConocoPhillips brands of oil? CP advertises that even their lowest priced oils are now a synthetic blend.

CP brands include:

  • Kendall GT-1® * Phillips 66 TropArtic® * 76 Super * Conoco Super All Season

All four appear to be exactly the same oil in different bottles.

CP also makes the Motorcraft branded oils, at least for US distribution.

John

Reply to
John Horner

yeah, but "synthetic" doesn't mean much. have you noticed how brake fluid is now "synthetic"? it's just like it was before, just more expensive. "synthetic" used to mean something. now it doesn't. even mobil 1 is still mineral oil base.

Reply to
jim beam

So in SoCal, some Honda dealers have synthetic blend 5w-20 for their oil changes and others have just conventional....for the same price, roughly between 25-30$. this might be stupid question, but for the same price, would you go with the synthetic blend? like...does it last longer, esp if i follow a severe maintenance schedule?

Reply to
rocketj55

For the same price? Yes! If for more money, that's your call.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Synthetic blend labeling is just marketing in this case. I suspect that the dealers who are advertising it are using Kendall or one of the other ConocoPhillips brands.

As long as they are using a major brand 5W-20 it doesn't make a difference.

It is kind of funny that few Honda dealers install Honda branded motor oil :).

John

Reply to
John Horner