Oil Question

I just bought a leftover Focus and am happy with the choice. The oil was the only thing I questioned, 5-20 synthetic blend? I assume that full synthetic can be used, but the 5-20. This narrows the selection of brands considerably.. Will a 5-30 function in the car?

John

Reply to
John Perry

maybe not in winter weather

ds549

Dont know what engine you have, mine is 1.6 duratec 16v and oil is Formula E, SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C913-B and afterfill/top-up with Formula S/SD SAE 5W-40 ACEA A3/B3 /Jorgen

Reply to
Jorgen Moquist

In the UK it is 5W-30 only

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

In the Cold climate US states, they use 5w-20.

Do not use anything thicker than 5w-30.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'm in sunny Los Angeles. We use 5-20 here, too.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

:>>>> John :>>> In the UK it is 5W-30 only :>> :>> :>> In the Cold climate US states, they use 5w-20. :>

:>I'm in sunny Los Angeles. We use 5-20 here, too.

And I'm in "sunnier" Phoenix, AZ. :-)

AFAIK all US Zetec engined cars going back to the Contour, Mystique and Escort ZX2 have called for 5-20 oil. The only exception I'm aware of is the Zetec in the SVT Focus. That one calls for 5-30. I have one and have had to watch close when I get oil changes to make sure they don't put 5-20 in it.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

And yer welcome to it. LA's hot enough! :)

Although the wildfire smoke haze cuts a bit of the solar radiation...

Added datapoint: I was addressing my run-of-the-mill Duratech. I should've been more specific.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark