1993 Honda Accord Manual Transmission Problem

:?: I have a 1993 Honda Accord LX with a 5 spd manual transmission. After the vehicle is warmed up I experience a grinding whenever I shift into or out of 2nd gear. Can this be remedied or fixed? A mechanic told me that there is nothing wrong with the transmission but can?t tell me why the grinding occurs.

Reply to
bjg

Probably need the second gear synchronizers and maybe a gear too. Not a big job for someone familiar with 5 speeds. Overhaul will probably cost close to what a junk yard trans would be, but you never know what shape the yard part will be in until the test drive. If you are close to N.E.Ohio, I can recommend a Honda Pro who can fix it. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

bjg wrote in news:945485_8918dfb86d666f051687cd08c4a69599 @autoboardz.com:

When you say "out of" second gear, do you mean into third?

Can you get into reverse and first OK when the car is idling? If so, check the fluid level in the transmission. If it's low, you can get grinding. If the fluid level is good (AND is not the wrong kind!), then you probably need a rebuild.

After ascertaining the clutch is working correctly, I would try a drain and fill with genuine Honda MTF and see if the problem gets better.

Reply to
Tegger