1993 Honda Civic EX Breaklight problem

I have a 1993 Honda Civic EX 4 door sedan. For the last few months I have been seeing water get into my trunk by way of the back breaklights. Now I see the back breaklights are on & will not go off so I pulled the fuse. Any idea of what I am looking at to get this fixed or can I do it myself??

Reply to
piperspost

This is a pretty common problem with c. 1990 Civics (and other Honda models?). It's a do-it-yourself job and does not take too much time. You need to dis-assemble the rear taillight assemblies and either (1) buy and install new gaskets; or (2) clean off the old ones and apply temperature appropriate silicone (sp.) caulking to both sides, then re-assemble.

I did the second back in 2003 for my 1991 Honda Civic. No leakage since, and my car has driven through some serious downpours.

For genuine Honda gaskets and manuals with info on dis-assembly, see the links at

. But I did not need a manual to figure out how to get the taillights apart.

wrote

Reply to
Elle

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:26677-44E50011-96@storefull-

3337.bay.webtv.net:

This happened to me on my 94 Integra,and it was a small plastic piece on the brake pedal lever that had crumbed and fell off.It is supposed to push on the brake light switch when the pedal is not being pushed,thus,if it's missing,the switch thinks your foot is on the pedal and the brake lights stay on. The part was only about $6,but it's not easy to access,so I had the dealer do it,total about $50.

Reply to
Jim Yanik