1993 Honda Del Sol Transmission ?

I'm looking to purchase a 1993 Honda Del Sol SI (automatic). It has

76,000 miles on it and is generally nice & clean. The only issue is that it seems to have difficulty downshifting while coming to a stop (feels like from 2nd to 1st). When it downshifts at that point, the car revs up maybe 300-400 RPMs. It feels like the transmission isn't rev-matching properly. Of course, the salesman says this is normal. What could be causing this? Could it be as simple as non-Honda ATF? Transmission cable adjustment? Or worse?

I really can't afford to buy a car whose transmission may need to be replaced (of course, how many people could afford that?). I also don't want this to be normal, because the jerkiness is annoying. I understand that the best thing to do would be take it to a transmission shop or Honda dealer, but I'm not sure it's worth my time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Bob Smith

it's engine braking - it's programmed to do that.

Reply to
jim beam

I understand why it's downshifting when I'm slowing down (engine braking), but I'm concerned as to why the car jerks forward and it revs so high when it shifts from 2nd to 1st. I've only ever owned automatics (I've driven an '86 Ford Club Wagon, '90 & '91 Accords, '94 Jeep Cherokee, '97 & '98 Civics, '99 Subaru Outback) and none of them have "popped" down into 1st like this Del Sol is doing.

I think if this is normal, it's very annoying and would probably drive me crazy when I'm stuck in rush hour traffic.

Reply to
Bob Smith

I would check the transmission fluid level first to see it's at the correct level

Reply to
chris

It's a given that you're going to put at least four new quarts of Z1 into it if you buy it. I'd use eight. You didnt say whether any of the up-shifts are clunky. If it's slamming into anything else, it's probably got non-Honda stuff it. Some (all?) hondas (with automatics) cut power to the injectors when you're coasting to a stop. If it's got non-honda juice in it, the downshift would be a lot more pronounced.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

The level seems fine and the transmission fluid smells and looks clean. My hope is that a transmission fluid flush plus refill with genuine Honda ATF would cure the problem and I will try to convince the car lot to do so. A friend of mine asked a good question: what if it's downshifting from 3rd to 1st? I imagine a car doing that would exhibit characteristics as this Del Sol is. It almost feels like it's downshifting at too high of speed, so the engine has to rev higher.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Reply to
Bob Smith