syntec blend

I just had an oil change at 67,500 miles on my 2000 Odyssey and the dealership used Castrol Syntec Blend oil which claims it is part synthetic. Has anyone had any experience with this oil and is it ok to use after using regular oil for 6 years?

Reply to
Bob Palmer

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I am running Syntec blend 5w-20 in my 04 Accord, although this has low miles yet. I wouldn't worry about it, Syntec blend is a good compromise between synthetic and standard oils. I also switched a vehicle over to full synthetic with high miles without a problem.

Reply to
Mike W

I recently changed two of our 200K+ mile cars (one is an '85) over to full synthetic and had no leaks or other problems.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

you also get a higher milage per oil change. Syntec or syntec blend oil retains its lubricating and protective chracteristics 3-4 times longer than regular one. I've been using semi-syntec Castrol for the last 5 years with with 15-20 k changing period. Never had any problems.

honda

I've been using Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2000 Civic SiR for 50,000km now. It doesn't leak a single drop.

Chris

Reply to
chris

Reply to
Bob Palmer
2 things, going longer then normal between oil changes just cause your using synthetic is NOT a good idea

To qualify as "synthetic blend" all you need to do is put SOME synthetic oil in it. So technically it could be plain oil with 1 drop of synthetic oil added.

If you want synthetic, then get 100% synthetic oil

Reply to
Jamco

Reply to
Bob Palmer

I don't know about an odyssey, but my neighbour has a 86 accord with over

500, 000KM on it, and still going strong
Reply to
Jamco

WHAT?! They put a sticker on a windshield suggesting an oil change interval of 15,000 miles?! That is stupid and I don't care what kind of oil it is. Generally speaking, under normal driving conditions, you can expect dino oil to go 5,000, maybe a little longer.

Semi-synthetics start to deplete their pack (TBN) around 7500 miles and although some synthetics say they can go higher, I have seen used oil analysis reports suggesting synthetics should be changed at no more than

10,000 miles. With severe driving conditions (heavy towing, cold start/short trip driving, dusty conditions, etc.), these figures would be much less.

Going 15,000 miles on this oil is a recipe for disaster. I don't doubt it can be done since you will rejuvenate the oil by several top-offs during this period but at what cost to the engine? If it were me, I would change this oil after 5,000 miles, send in for an oil analysis report (about $40) to Amsoil, Blackstone or some other well established lab, and look at the results. I bet you will never see a professional lab analysis recommending this oil to 15,000 mile intervals.

MARTY

Reply to
shortspark

It is an excellent quality oil and can mix and match with conventional oils without fear.

John

Reply to
John Horner