1995 Civic CX clutch sounds...

Quick question: A ticking/grinding sounds is heard when in neutral and clutch not engage.If i push the clutch down(still in neutral the noise goes away.If i'm in gear i dont hear that sound(with clutch pedal down or release).I'm wondering what could do that...Milleage is 170 000km.Bought the car at 160 000,i have no idea if the clutch has been changed.It does not slip and engages fine.Anyone? Thanks in advance for the help! P

Reply to
"DuNNo"

Hard to know exactly - from the noise description I'm guessing bad pilot bearing - but the fix is pretty much the same in any case: clutch replacement.

The problem is that just about all possibilities require the same major work, removal of the transmission. Once in that far, it makes sense to replace all the usual clutch parts and resurface the flywheel. It's agonizing to know it could be as simple as rust on the splines of the input shaft, but to do anything about it requires getting to it... remove transmission.

The good news is that you will have a new clutch when it's done.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Sorry - must be too early in the morning... I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying the clutch didn't disengage, either. As long as the clutch works okay, turn up the radio so the noise doesn't bother you. It can go many years like that, although eventually the clutch will need replacing... whether it makes noise now or not.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
"DuNNo"

"\"DuNNo\"" wrote in news:yNM%d.57911$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net:

Sounds like bearing noise from transmission shaft bearings. Get a garage to confirm. They can tell this in seconds. If this is so, a replacement gearbox is the only option.

When was the fluid level last checked? Allowing the level to get low will kill a box pretty quickly.

A worn pilot bearing will make noise with the clutch pushed and the lever in gear. A worn release bearing will make noise with the clutch pushed and the lever in neutral.

Reply to
TeGGer®

"TeGGer®" wrote in news:Xns9621536F999CEtegger@207.14.113.17:

Also must add this:

If it in fact the shaft bearings that are making noise, it's not necessarily cause for immediate action. The transmission will run for ages with the noise (provided it is supplied with fresh fluid that is kept to the proper level).

The noise will give you lots of warning, eventually becoming a howling noise similar to that from worn wheel bearings. At that point you _need_ to do something fairly soon.

RWD transmissions would usually be quiet in 4th gear even with worn bearings, as that gear is straight-through and places little side-load on the bearings. That is not the case with Hondas, since power there takes a

180 degree turn to get to the final drive, which means there is side-load all the time.
Reply to
TeGGer®

This sounds like your release bearing is worn out. Its not a big deal, I drove my 98 civic around for like over a year before I bothered to do anything about it. Just make sure you REMEMBER to do it when you do the clutch, I ended up forgetting to replace it when we did the clutch on my girlfriends 87 prelude. We ended up pulling it all apart again just to do the release bearing, cuz guess what started making a grinding noise as soon as we put it back together? DOH!

As Tegger said, it could be your transmission input shaft bearing, but the way you describe the noise, only when the clutch pedal is out, makes me think release bearing.

By the way, the Input shaft bearing went on my civic too, but the shop just replaced it. It wasn't cheap, but leads me to believe it could be done by an ambitious Do-it-yourselfer, they only charged the warranty for like 4 hours of labour, and they did a crapload of other stuff too. Good thing I had Honda Plus.

disallow