1996 accord lx wont start!

hello, everyone! my accord wont start! it wont turn over. the stereo and lights all work. thought it was the battery at first so i replaced it this weekend. tried to start it and got nothing. CHECK ENGINE light was on for a while and there was a knocking noise on the driver side of the engine which stopped whenever the car stopped or was left to idle before it "met its maker". please help!

Barbado=AE

Reply to
barbadomusic

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1179176510.379288.87390 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Do you get a click, or nothing at all when you turn the key?

Check both ends of both battery cables.Check ECU ground at thermostat housing, check engine ground from valve cover to rad support.

Get the code read. AutoZone or PartSource will do it for free.

Reply to
Tegger

Wait a sec - if it can be driven to AutoZone, would he still need to get the code read? lol

-Dave ....sorry - couldn't resist!

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" wrote in news:oJedncUaiZ-UmdTbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

D'oh!

In that case, if the OP can't get the beast running, he'll have to buy or borrow an OBD-II tester. You can get those fairly inexpensively these days.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9931674F4806Dtegger@207.14.116.130:

If no CRANK,it's probably a worn starter solenoid.

Can it be push-started? Does it CRANK,and then not RUN,or you turn the key and nothing happens,no clicks?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

hi there i have a 1990 accord and having the same truable come to find out it the wire harness from in side the car that's a lot of work :( my accord will turn over but no start

Reply to
importdynamix2004

Hey, you're always giving excellent *free* advice and info. You're entitled - just don't let it happen again! - jk

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

sorry... can't push start. it's an AT.

Reply to
barbadomusic

someone here mentioned it might be a bad starter. not the 1st time i heard ppl told me that since my whip croaked. that might be the problem... which leads this mechanically-challenged car owner to a new challenge: HOW DO I GET TO THE SOLENOID? it's like buried in there? and if i get to it, THEN what?

Reply to
barbadomusic

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

First,buy a service manual. Helms is recommended,but a Haynes is better than nothing.Haynes should be about $20 USD.,at most auto stores like PepBoys,Autozone,....

You WILL have to pull the starter off the motor.Perhaps from underneath.

Reply to
Jim Yanik