1997 civic very dirty oil very quickly

I have a 1997 civic with 109k on it. I drive 60 miles (38 on I-15) every day to work (120 miles round trip). Everytime I change the oil in it about a week later the oil is down 2 quarts and its real dirty. This started about a year ago. I have just been replacing the oil that has been lost. The car has no loss of performance (that I can feel, power or mileage) but does make a screaching noise during acceleration. I have yet to change the timing belt and when that is done the water pump will get changed, which I have been told will fix the screaching noise. Anyway I was worried that my K&N cold air intake was letting to much "junk" into my engine. Is this possible, or is it something completely different?

runsrealfast

Reply to
runsrealfast

'Curly Q. Links'

crud in the oil comes from combustion problems or ingestion of grit/increased wear - once you mention the k&n intake, all sympathy disappears. look into the cost of a replacement jdm engine and refitting the stock air filtration system.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
Eric

jim beam wrote in news:V_- dncjl8IMStRPZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Ditto.

And hey, have a look at this...

TeGGeR®

I'm not losing quite that much oil I lost 2 quarts about 1000 miles before I was due for a oil change anyway. But I have been thinking of getting the stock equipment back into the car and the timeing belt/water pump is on the to-do-list but my honey-do-list never shortens so i have not had the chance yet

Reply to
runsrealfast

thanks for the link, the test looks a little pro AC delco, but I see the point. Still it makes you a little sceptical when the same filter gets rated the highest everytime...

Reply to
runsrealfast

If your engine is bad, that filter is probably to blame. You ought to sue them.

If the water pump is screeching you need to get it done yesterday. Is it leaking coolant?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

no, its funny though it doesn't screech all the time, but yeah I know it needs to get done just need the time to do it.

Reply to
runsrealfast

I am actually a little skeptical that it really is the water pump. If it was really the water pump I kinda think you would be looking for a new engine by now.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Here's my two cents worth. Oil will turn black due to combustion gases getting into the crank case. The oil is probably getting by the piston rings. It it was getting by the valve guides you would probably have fouled plugs.

Reply to
Sam Spade