1997 Honda civic EX remote locking question

Hi -

I just got my stereo replaced in the honda civic 97 EX at a best buy... all went well except that the remote control entry to my car has stopped functioning. Is the remote sensor part of the stereo system? or is it likely that the person installing it knocked off some wiring that controls the remote control mechanism? everything else in the car (including central locking using car controls) is functioning fine.

The best buy personnel who installed this claims that the onboard computer needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer, does not sound logical to me, am wondering if I should return the unit.

Any experts on this forum?

Thanks in advance, Praty

Reply to
whypraty

wrote

Yes, it is. I had the same car, and the keyless entry and dome light are controlled by components in the stock stereo. The solution is to have both the stock stereo and the new one wired up together into the same system. Mine was done that way, with the stock stereo strapped to the new one, hidden from view behind the dash.

Reply to
Howard Lester

Thanks Howard, that is very helpful. Would you know how one can connect both? the best buy guys did not know that this would be the case, i guess i have to go back to them and educate them.

I am guessing that the original stereo unit would have 4 different wires sockets 1) power supply 2) speakers 3) trunk CD changer and 4) remote control. Should I ask him to connect 1) and 4) to the original stereo unit (which remains hidden), and 1) and 2) to the new radio unit?

(I hope plugging the original unit does not ask for factory password and reprogramming the remote control!)

Thanks again, Praty

Reply to
whypraty