2000 civic poor gas mileage

I have a 2000 Civic Ex 70k that is getting approx. 24 MPG for about 60 highway/ 40 city driving. I recently bought this car and am extremely surprised by the economy. I drive it gently, tires are correct pressure, plugs I believe, were changed around 40k at the dealer, recent oil change and air filter. It needs an alignment, but I am not aware that this would affect the fuel economy this drastically. I was hoping to get at least 30 mpg. Anyone have this problem before? Thanks

Reply to
elaine1231

=================================

We don't know it you're talking Imperial or US MPG, and is it 70,000 Kilometers or miles? I might suggest you have winter gas where you are, but we don't know where you are.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

In USA - 70k miles

Reply to
elaine1231

NY, USA - 70k miles

Reply to
elaine1231

there's a ton of reasons why. need to be more specific. things to look into include brakes binding, dying oxygen sensor, bad plug leads, wrong oil grade, ignition timing, leaky injectors, etc. my 2000 civic cx only got about 34 mpg on the freeway, driven fastish. the ex is a little more thirsty than that.

also, make sure you have the consumption calculation right. you need to fill to the top, then calculate consumption from the next complete fill. and average it over several tanks.

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks for all inputs. Just filled it again - 24.5mpg. I have noticed that the tach doesn't go down to somewhere near 1000 RPM's when I take my foot off the gas. Depending on how fast the car is going, it hovers around 1500, 2000, or 2500 RPM's. Honestly, I don't like this car. With over 100 techinical service bulletins, it is clear I made a poor purchase. I was kind of hoping that this was a "known" problem, so that I wouldn't have to spend excess money on a troubleshoot. I have never had a mileage problem with a vehicle. I will look into the things you mentioned. Thank you.

Reply to
elaine1231

check the coolant level in the radiator [looking at the expansion bottle is not good enough]. needs to be full to the top.

Reply to
jim beam

The only thing I could suggest is to have it checked out by a mechanic to make sure everything is working right. Sometimes cars have things go wrong with them(low tire pressure, etc) that decrease your gas mileage.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

On Feb 6, 10:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Something is not right. Sounds like it's staying in open loop. "thinks it's cold, etc" That would sure hurt mpg.. Many things could cause that, and it probably needs a good going over. I doubt if it's anything really serious. Could be a simple as a bad coolant sensor. Make sure the throttle and idle controls functions are normal. I don't think the civic is as bad as you might think. I could think of worse cars quite easily. I just put down on a newer car today, and should pick it up monday. I had a hard decision which racked my brain for a while. The civic, or a corolla.. I tossed and turned trying to decide. I think both are probably about equal overall.. But...When it came down to it....I got a 2005 corolla CE... :/ Yep, honda fans, I done went with another yota... Read it and weep.. LOL.. Why? I liked the toyota's interior better for some reason.. And it sits kinda high, and feels a tad bigger while driving. I couldn't warm up to the civic's interior all that much.. So plain and sparton looking even compared to my 89 accord which is fancy in comparison.. Not that the corolla is like a luxury car either on the inside, but seemed a bit snazzier vs the civic.. The car is real purty, and pretty much in like new shape.. It's that gold color with tan seats.. Has 24k miles.. Hope I didn't make a mistake.. I plan to drive that car a loooong time assuming it doesn't flake out on me. It's got the auto, so a bit less than the

41 mpg they often quote for the manual. Might squeeze 38 or so though, if I keep my foot off it.. I hear the corollas will often get that high mpg if you hold the speed to about 60. But I've heard bumping up to 70 can drop you down to the mid 30's.. May be about the same for the civics, even with the vtec engines.. Now I gotta decide if I want to keep the accord, or sell it off. I'll have 4 vehicles as of monday.. Two are ford trucks, and one is gonna go fer sure.. The other is my work truck.. My neighbors probably hate my guts I've got so many cars around here.. I'm fairly sure they are not crazy about my two old fords , both with camper shells.. But, #$%^ em if they can't take a joke.. MK
Reply to
nm5k