Mileage Toyota Camry 2004

Friends

I have a brand new 2004 model Toyota Camry Touring (6 cylinder 3000cc engine)which has done 1100km now. I have been getting an average mileage of only 7.58 Km per litre without Airconditioning. I am a fuel efficiency concious driver and my driving habits are such as to maximize fuel efficiency. I feel this is very low for a new Japanese car which are suppose to be fuel efficient.

What do you all think. Is there any problem in the car? If yes how to establish it and how to sort it out? What should be normal average mileage I shoud expect?

I invite experiece of current owners of the same car. Also request comments and suggestions, experience of you all.

Thanks

A K jain

Reply to
anilkuwait

Too new to rate. Engine parts need to bed in before mileage numbers can be reliably established. Follow normal "break in" procedures - varied engine speed - no constant cruise. Carefully read your owner's manual for suggestions and instruction. Re check after 15,000 kms.

Reply to
nospampls2002

You measure fuel consumption by using this formula: X number of liters per

100 kms, or, for ex.: 9,2L/100kms. This is what the rest of the world is using as a formula. Happy Hollidays.

JP

anilkuwait wrote:

Reply to
JP

There are approx 4.5 ltres per imperial gallon. In your case that means you are getting approx 19 mpg. That's not good economy. Could it be you measured your fuel usage wrong?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

1 liter = 0.21 Imperial gallon. So you've got 7.58 km to 0.219 Imp gallon. 4.54 liters to an Imperial gallon ... 34.41 km per Imperial gallon. I figure 21.38 US miles per Imperial gallon or 20.2 mpg (US gallons). Close?

One must consider the relatively low accumulated miles, that is winter, and the possibility of oxygenated fuel being used. With these considerations, I do not agree these figures are inordinately low at this time. One might take the car for a sustained 100 mile drive at highway speeds to see if this optimal running condition nets anywhere close to the advertised MPG. If so, then the rest (short trips, surface streets, etc) will just be what they will be.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

Dear mr Jason,

The figure of 7.58 km per litre is accurately determined figure based upon the distance covered divided by the fuel used where both figures are very accuretely arrived at. This is also confirmed by the cars built in multifunction sensors which display the fuel consumption in lit per 100 km and indicates similar figure of 13.1 lit/100km.

Hence there are no doubts about validity of the figue of 7.58 km/lit. For some of the readers familiar with other units 7.58 km/lit is equivalent to following:

  • 13.2 lit per 100 km, and
  • 17.93 mpg(Miles per US Gallon), 1 US Gallon=3.785 lit
  • 21.3 mpg (Miles per Br Gallon), 1 Br Gallon=4.5 lit
Reply to
anilkuwait

Dear Mr. Philip

Thanks for your thoughts. The EPA figure for this car is 20 mpg to 28 mpg in City driving condition and in highway driving condition respectively. Therefore I am getting even 10% less than the expected worst case mileage.

To offer some more facts, I believe that my trips consist of about 40% highway driving and 60% city driving, therefore I should get something like 23.2 mpg (9.8km/lit) against which I am getting 17.9 mpg (7.58 km/lit). Now that is clean 22.6% less and is very significant.

Invite your experience about current mileage of your vehicles please.

Thanks

Jain

Reply to
anilkuwait

Dear sir,

Thanks for your reply. I am affraid that there is some fundamental defect in the engine or associated system of the car. I feel that even after some running the fuel efficiency may not improve beyond 3-4%. Hence it may not be wise to wait until 15,000 km.

Reply to
anilkuwait

That sounds low for that car...Tell us exactly how you determined that figure. You drive the tank down to the E mark on the gas guage,fill the tank full, record number of gallons pumped, reset the trip meter to zero,then drive out that tank until you are on E mark again. Divide miles driven by number of gallons pumped(NOT BY THE NUMBER OF GALLONS THE TANK HOLDS) for your MPG. My camry has about 2.5 gallons left after my gas guage is way below the E mark..

Reply to
ROBMURR

and

this

so,

Yeah,....fuel economy is a difficult thing to understand in some cases. If the driver is on the brakes a lot, accelerating and then throwing that accumulated power away by turning it to heat in the brakes, then FEconomy will increase. My '96 4 cyl manual, gets about 23 'round town (imperial) and about 32 on the hiway. It really does come into its own on the hiway,..mind you I drive at a steady 60 mph (the legal limit in Australia except for some expressways which have 110ks or approx 70 mph) and the car is a manual,..tho lockup TQs have evened-out manuals with autos on hiway driving economy.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Depends on you driving conditions, if just running short trips, car will not be warmed up and mileage will suffer. Also, depends on you driving habits, some drivers have a lead foot.

Reply to
jjjsan

Is it cold where you are? You have to remember the EPA figures are measured either as an average or under ideal conditions. However, I have always *beaten* the EPA's estimates by leaps and bounds. I live in a rural are, not much 'city' driving and a fair amount of highway; however, I usually manage to run the car's engine in it's highest efficiency range about 80% of the time, and I generally *average* the EPA's Highway figure, or usually even better!For example, my '85 Corolla was rated 22 city, 30 hwy, I was getting 36 *average* until about 4 years ago, when it slipped to 33. It's an '85 BTW.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Your last conversion calculations are correct. Assuming your EPA statistic of 20 city / 28 highway is true, here's how you can test EPA mileage. Find a friend in the EPA who will let you into their National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Michigan. Then drive onto their dynomometer and complete the three Federal Test Procedure (FTP) drive cycles. Crunch data and compare!

EPA numbers are guidelines for comparison. They are rarely close to real world results but they're all we have. 18 miles per gallon doesn't sound good, but thats what I would probably get with a V6 the way I drive and where I drive.

Your check engine light (at least Camrys made for the USA) will come on at the slightest EFI problem. If its not on, you have little to worry about. For example, USA market Camrys have air/fuel ratio sensors which are far better and quicker responding than their predecessors, oxygen sensors. They can set a check engine light for dozens of different reasons, many times while still operating well enough that you can't notice any driveability problems.

I would suspect your fuel has a lower than ideal energy content ('oxygenated' here in large US cities) and cold weather is partly to blame. Driving habits are the biggest offender, but that's a qualitative issue that rarely gets 'repaired'.

Toyota MDT in Missouri

Reply to
Comboverfish

Did you gloss over several mitigating influences on fuel mileage I mentioned? Seems so.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

Rob: the man is driving us Americans crazy with liters and kilometers.

Fill the tank ... go drive 160 kilometers or so on fairly level ground ...stop, refill the tank. Compute consumption. If it's reasonably close to advertised then whatever else he gets is what is. The car is also not broken it yet. That would be after at least 20,000 km's.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

It is highly unlikely that there's something wrong with your vehicle to cause low fuel economy. If you think there is, bring it in to the dealer since it is under warranty.

As far as your comment on driving to maximize fuel economy, what exactly are your tactics?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Dear Mr Robmurr,

Thanks a lot. I determine the Mileage exactly by the method described by you. Hence I have a very reliable and accurate history of fuel efficiency of my cars. For clarity provide the steps to determine the milege as follos:

  1. The car fuel tank is filled up to brim.
  2. Trip meter is set to zero and total milometer reading is also recorded.
  3. After one full run the car is refuelled back to brim and litres are recorded. Simultaneously the trip meter reading is recored (which is upto
100m accurate) and is crosschecked with milometer reading.
  1. The trip distance km figure from step 3 is divided by the fuel filled in step 3 which gives mileage in the last run in km per litre.

In case of my old Car GM Caprice classic 8 cylinder 5700cc 1986, I have the above described history of last 10 years and it used to give me about

5.5 km/litre under similar driving conditions. Of course for my new car I am making the history the same manner and it is giving 7.58 km/litre, which is hardly any improvement considering the fact that the comparison is between a 5700cc 18 year old car with a new only 3000cc 6 cylinder state of art percieved fuel efficient 21st century car.

Hope someone out is there who is driving the same Toyota Camry 6 cylinder car and who can share his experience on the matter.

Thanks

Reply to
anilkuwait

My Driving strategy to maximise fuel efficiency include:

  1. To keep steady speed as per traffic condition.
  2. To anticipate stops and try not to accelarate before the stops/signals.
  3. To aviod idle engine running.
  4. To avoid unnecessary braking as well as unnecessary accelarating.
  5. Maximise highway use.
  6. Not to drive above speed of 120km/hr.

About getting the vehicle checked from the dealer. I have done that and they say that there are no adjustments to do and they do not find anything problematic. However I feel they are not cooperative and simply do not wish to accept and check the problem. Happy driving to all

Reply to
anilkuwait

I have a 2000 Camry V6 with 35K miles, owned since new, and have only managed those bad numbers when going on 5km trips and then stop again under freezing condition . If this is done during a 2 weeks period with only these frequent short trips to school/shop etc. Under normal condition and mixed driving the average milage is slightly less than 1 litre per 10 km.

TJ

Reply to
Thor Jan Børresen

Add these to your strategy:

1) When braking, take advantage of engine braking. The fuel injectors shut off during this time.

2) Try to ensure that your cruising speed around time is still fast enough for your transmission to be in overdrive and for the torque converter to lock up (if you have an automatic).

3) Make sure your windows are up when driving above 45mph. Use either your vent or fan (if the temperature allows).

4) Minimize use of your rear defroster.

5) Don't use your foglights when it's not foggy.

6) Use flow-thru ventilation instead of the lowest fan speed when moving (whenever possible).

7) Always check your tire pressures.
Reply to
Viperkiller