2003 4door Accord front power windows

Hi.

Does anyone have any problems with front power windows. Recently my front power windows stoped working at approximately the same time (within 2 weeks of eachother). Honda service took a look and claim that both window regulators have to be replaced i.e. $250 per side plus 3 hour labour + tax, so just under $1000. Has anyone ever opened these units to attempt a repair? Sounds like another electrical defect to me.

Thanks.

Reply to
highkm

---------------------------

You are more perceptive than the dealer. It sounds lie you've got corrosion where the controller module grounds, or a wire broken.

Someone around here will know.

has some good discussion happening about this topic, and the systems will be almost identical, if you want to sign in and SEARCH.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

That's what it sounds like to me. The motors aren't hard to test once the door panel is off (start with the driver's door, with richer hunting grounds and shorter control wires) the regulator motors can be unplugged and a twelve volt source - even a battery charger - connected across the motor to ensure it works both ways. Alternatively, the motors can be left connected and the voltages checked with a meter. 2003 is awfully new for the regulators to fail, especially two that close together.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Michael Pardee wrote: the regulator motors can be unplugged and a

----------------------------

True, Michael, but the OP may not know that most modern battery chargers don't put out anything unless they detect a partially-charged battery. Better to use a left-over battery out of your motorcycle / alarm system. They're small to work with and won't spill any acid on you (on a good day).

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I didn't know that! My charger is almost 30 years old.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yeah, it's part of the 'automatic charge' thing, and it usually says in the instructions that "This unit will not charge a battery that is totally DEAD"

Don't feel bad. I discovered this secret about 25 years ago when I tried to use the company's charger to recharge a dead battery. It wouldn't put out even 5 volts so I dismantled the charger and figured out from the internal circuitry that it was designed to 'taper off' when it reached about 13.8 volts. Afterwards I looked on the instructions and saw the 'warning'. :-)

Since then I know that I have to piggy-back TWO batteries so the charger will start working, then disconnect the better one after a few minutes (or just use the old clunker charger to get the job done).

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_