2003 Honda CR-V EX headlight problem...help!

Headlight problem started about month ago with passenger side out...closing hood would cause it to come on at first.

Replaced both headlight bulbs and passenger bulb filament was bad...both headlights now worked.

About a week ago the drivers side went out...ck'd filament good and swapped out bulb......no go..worked on this for hours cleaning connectors wiring prongs in plug....no go.....

Plugged bulb in while out of socket touched ground no go....but, after pulling on wires and plug bulb came on.

Replaced bulb in assy replaced rubber plugged in and again its does not work.

My guesses or a broken wire bad connector somewhere...ground etc..

Does anyone know the schematic on this vehicle where the plugs and connectors are?

Its hard for me to believe a almost new car has a broken wire or corrosion like you find on 20-30 year cars.

Any input on T/S or anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any help!

DT

Reply to
!yoo!

=======================================

On some Hondas there are little triangles on the plastic connector that you're supposed to squeeze like hell to get the lamp to release. If you don't know about that, and just twist and shout until it comes out, you've loosened the metal part of the connector so it has no 'bite' on the lamp's prong anymore. I had to pop the plastic connector apart, clean out all the grease and carefully crush the brass (copper) parts tighter and reassemble with new silicone grease. I drew a picture first so I didn't mess up the wiring. It was a '95 Odyssey, but I'm know lots of Hondas are similar.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks Curly....but this CR-V just has regular 3 prong connectors on the bulb.

DT

Reply to
!yoo!

Quote from '00 CR-V manual: "Remove the electrical connector from the bulb by squeezing the connector on both sides to unlock the tab. Pull the connector straight off" The Helms (service) manual doesn't mention the squeezing part, but Helms assumes you're a Honda tech and should have known that.

Maybe they changed the design after '01, but I doubt it. What does your owner's manual say?

Look on the bright side . . You get a VW feature (headlight problems) without having to buy a VW.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks Curly, I've had a similar problem with the right high beam headlamp on my 2002 civic (see my problem posting about four days ago). I'll try that on mine as well.

Reply to
COH