2006 Civic Design Flaw

OK all you sedan drivers try this. Find a nice safe stretch of road and take your Civic up to around 30-35 mph. The engine can be anywhere from

1500 to 2000 rpm. Now here's the "fun" part. Open the right rear window. What you should hear, if your experience is anything like mine, is a loud oscillating wind buffeting sound. Now if you never intend to drive with the rear windows down forget the whole thing. Otherwise get some ear plugs...the noise will drive you nuts otherwise. Oh by the way my dealer had me try this with another Civic. Same noise. That's why I consider this a design flaw. So far I can not find any TSB's or recalls that pertain to this issue. Maybe Honda doesn't think it's a problem. Other than this I think the car is great.

Rich K.

Reply to
Richard Kuroski

Most sedans and some coupes will do that (station wagons and hatchbacks are much more resistant). It is called "aeolian oscillation" and effectively turns the passenger compartment into a giant subsonic whistle. The '64 Dodge I learned to drive in was crazy with it, and I've never had a sedan that didn't do it on at least one pair of windows. For best window ventilation on the road, opening the driver's window an inch and doing the same with the right rear window will get you quiet, controlled air flow.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This has been around for much, much longer than the new Civic.

I had a 91 Civic wagon that did this.

I've also had other, non-Honda cars do this.

Never figured it out, either.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

This is a VERY common issue with countless makes and models of vehicles. I've driven and ridden in several SUVs with the exact same behavior--as well as many different types of sedans.

Reply to
Ron M.

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Awww, you beat me to it! *I* wanted to use that term! It sounds so

*scientific*!

For the record, my 1991 Integra and my 1976 Coronet all do/did the same thing.

My '74 RX-4 and both my early-'80s Corollas didn't, but that was due only to the fact that they were all hardtop bodystyles. My '75 Corolla didn't do it either, but that was because the rear windows were tilt-out designs.

There ya go. Or buy a convertible.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Heck, my Chevy truck will do this also. Either the window has to be all the way down, or all the way up. About half-way and the buffetting is terrible. But I live in Texas, so most of the time the AC is on anyhow. Bottom line: no big deal.

Reply to
Bob

Most cars I've owned do or did it.

Reply to
Art

This is one of my pet peeves, and nearly every modern car does this with one or more windows. I call it the Coke Bottle Effect, because it is similar to what happens when you blow across the lip of a soda bottle.

It is a consequence of slippery aerodynamic design.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I had an '81 and '93 civic sedans that both did this. It used to drive me nuts on road trips because the kids would always try to crank down the back window just enough to maximize the oscillation.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Sorry about that. You could mention that the oscillation results from von Karman vortex shedding.... I love that term!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Will window deflector take care of that problem? I am curious. My SUV is loud as hexx!

Reply to
harry

Thank you all for your responses. Now I know I'm not nuts and can quote scientific terms to explain the issue. Of course I'm still stuck with the vibration problem at 1500 rpm. Thought is was the right rear tire, and it may still be, however the exhaust system now has me on a different path. Then again maybe I should just turn up the radio and get over it.

Reply to
Richard Kuroski

John, It's not a problem if the AC is used. I rarely see anyone with the windows down or the sunroof open--regardless of the outside temp. The closed windows mean that we solve the "loud sound" problem and we also keep out the pollution such as the odor of diesel fumes. Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:J92dnfJ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Oh, yeah, I know that one. That's what happens when you don't shave your Karmann Ghia often enough...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Not uncommon to be able to produce this effect with certain speeds and window configurations. Try cracking a front window a bit.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I hang around cyclists in hopes of some pretty young lady thinking it is "Goretex shedding" but so far no luck.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hey, Accord Ex sunroof does the same thing.

I've meant to try putting some deflectors or vortex shedders or dilithium crystals or eolian transmogrifiers on the leading edge to prevent it, but so far haven't actually bothered.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Beryllium spheres or unobtainium plasma rectifiers might do the job - check the wrecking yards.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee