2009 Civic

Is there a reason to change the oil in a 2009 Civic more frequently than the maintenance reminder? A mechanic told me it needed to be changed every three months regardless of the mileage.

Reply to
Edward

Edward laid this down on his screen :

Let me guess, this mechanic is willing to change it for you? For a fee?

Reply to
Seth

It used to be X miles or X months, whichever comes first.

But Honda built their little mileage minders and didn't have them check the dates, and even dealer service promotions remind you to check the mileage, not the date. So I guess, trust the minder.

I suppose there might be some period after which you should treat your car to an "extra" oil change, if you drive less than 3,000 miles a year you might get an annual change just for good luck, but at this point I wouldn't worry much about the 90 days.

Actually, I've wondered about this more than once, as I was driving limited miles for several months on a previous Accord I kept waiting for the minder to tell me on a calendar basis to go get the oil changed, but it never did.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Follow the maintenance minder. My Accord owners' manual says to change oil annually if you don't drive far enough to trip the MM.

Reply to
Travis Bickle

Great. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Edward

Thank you for opening the manual! :)

But just as a question - doesn't the computer know how many days have passed, so it can show the minder after a year? I guess the manual would be a backup in case you haven't even STARTED the car for weeks or months to look at the minder!

J.

Reply to
JRStern