2010 Civic: Normal Lifespan Of Breaks?

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Civic I bought new. I took it to a small gas station repair shop last night for battery issues.

When the mechanic called me this morning he told he thought that the breaks were also near worn out, which he would replace for over $600.

About a year ago I had one of those "X thousand miles services", though I had a trustworthy mechanic instead of the dealership do it. That mechanic had nothing to say about my breaks.

I pretty much drive the typical 10 - 15,000 miles a year.

My maintenance minder is down to about 30%. My current commute is only about 8 miles so I thought I would wait for my oil change and then get a second opinion on my breaks.

Is it normal for the breaks of a new Honda Civic to be worn within 4 years of usage?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
beforewisdom

Well first you might want to spell it "brakes"!

You must drive pretty carefully if you have a four year old car and are just now having the first brake work done over 40k miles!

It's also a bit unusual for both front and rear to go out at the same time.

The price? I dunno. I guess I haven't had much brake work done either for some time, driving leased Accords I trade in before they need it! But $600 sounds high even for four wheels and even turning the front rotors. Well maybe, with the rotors.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I've had trouble sleeping for most of August, my relationship is on the rocks and three weeks ago my father suddenly died. It was cancer he didn't know he had and it got to his liver before doctors could help him.

I had to drop my car off in that shop the day before the burying of his ashes. Luckily they weren't too busy and they got the car ready by the end of Friday so I was able to drive up the cemetery the next day.

My guess is that all of things made me a sloppy writer the day I posted my question. I apologize if my poor spelling annoyed you.

Thank you answering my question.

Reply to
Steve

There's "breaks" and "brakes" and I only really had comments on the later. Sorry about the others but I really didn't know.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

JRStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You mean "latter". "Later" and "latter" are different words.

It's dangerous correcting other people's spelling mistakes. You might embarrass yourself by making your own misteaks.

Reply to
Tegger

I don't want to strain anyone's vocabulary with schmancy words.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

It wasn't so much that you misspelled; more so that you used an entirely different word.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty