Is 5 Years A Typical Battery Life?

Hi,

I have a 2010 Civic I bought new.

I needed a jump start twice yesterday so the car is in the shop ( independent, gas station ).

I thought it would be something like the alternator, but the mechanic just called me and told me those systems were fine. The batter is corroded and near dead.

He said about 4 - 5 years of life is normal for a car battery.

I can't remember changing my battery that often with my old car ( 1991 Civic ).

Is the mechanic right about the life span of car batteries?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Five years is an excellent life span for a battery especially the OEM.

When you buy a new battery you can see how long each is warranteed for, and five years is a pretty premium level.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Depends a bit on where you live, and what you do. I'm told that in Phoenix they often only last about 3 years. Accidentally running it down flat by leaving the lights on or such will reduce the life-time. My '91 Civic and '81 Corolla each lasted about 7.

That said failure at 4-5 years is common enough.

Reply to
Alan Bowler

Not entirely, see

The biggest factor is how cool *battery is : German cars have * in boot ( far from engines' heat ) so * can last longer e.g. 6 yr in my cousin's BMW in Msia ( warm climate ). * in cold climate lasts longer.

2nd factor is whether user switches off every component ( e.g. aircon / lights / wipers / heater ) before cranking ; this site says deep discharge will shorten life of *. 3rd factor is whether user can keep * state of charge high ( 80% full ) : I use 2solar panels ( in 2 cars ) to charge *, voltage must not >15.9v .
Reply to
pbx5619

tery is : German cars have * in boot ( far from engines' heat ) so * can la st longer e.g. 6 yr in my cousin's BMW in Msia ( warm climate ). * in cold climate lasts longer.

ights / wipers / heater ) before cranking ; this site says deep discharge w ill shorten life of *.

I use 2solar panels ( in 2 cars ) to charge *, voltage must not >15.9v .

I have a question regarding the above. My 2003 Pilot says I can leave the l ights on "automatic." That works for me because I want to use my headlights as daylight running lights. My issue is that they may damage the battery -

-or something else-- as the lights are on before cranking. Then again a Sea rs battery is guaranteed for so many years. My safety is more important tha n a battery, and the A/C is always on anyway.

What am I playing with here?

Reply to
Tony54

No. Don't worry about it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So are they in effect daylight running lights? I'm told they come on AFTER cranking the engine. The A/C would be more of a load.

In the meantime, "Life is short. Don't worry about batteries."

Reply to
Tony54