2010 CR-V tpms warning on dash

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Didn't think it would. I don't think ANY Honda/Acura models have a pressure-sensor in the spare.

Reply to
Tegger

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9FB8C0AF87919jyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44:

I've found most people don't notice low tire-pressure until the pressure has declined to about 15 psi or less, and the sidewall has a serious potbelly.

Reply to
Tegger

Appreciate all the good info here. I do have a compressor at home so I have no excuses :( .

Reply to
Doug

Sometimes I go by touch rather than by sight. If I touch my tires often when properly inflated, I get a sense by touch when they aren't as hard. I don't claim to be perfect but I feel confident about this.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm afraid that method is nowhere near accurate enough for any useful purpose, not even on vehicles which lack TPMS.

There is no possible way even the most sensitive hand is going to be reliably able to tell the difference between 30 psi and 25 psi, or between

25 and 20. Use of a tire gauge is the ONLY correct way to set pressures.
Reply to
Tegger

I don't claim to be as good as a gage of course but I think my hand is decent. Normally what I've done over many years is first gage the tire to proper specs and after several times doing this and feeling it with my hand (and eyes) I then use my hand/eyes for in between gage checks. It works for me for shorter trips / time. Of course if I were going on a long trip, I'd use a gage.

Reply to
Doug

Just to add to my post, normally when I do put air in my tires, I use a gage.

Reply to
Doug

while i agree that a gauge is the way to go, there is a method of checking tire pressure that is a good deal more accurate than what tegger seems to be scared about and which is useful "in the field".

if you flick your finger against the tire wall, you'll hear a ringing tone. admittedly, you're going to have a hard time if you're alongside a busy freeway, but it's there nevertheless. and its tone depends on air pressure, much like a guitar string tone depends on tension [the concept shouldn't be too hard to grasp since the tire wall has tensioned strings in it]. you can thus quickly learn the tone for your tires when properly inflated, and can use it to inflate to within a couple of pounds of target if you don't have a reliable gauge handy.

Reply to
jim beam

Interesting Jim. Never heard or thought of that but why not. Makes sense to me. I think we all agree a gage is always best but one could survive on the road without one ... at least for a while. I'll have to try your method tho I admit my ears aren't as good as they once were :-( Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you want the light guaranteed to stay off, you're going to need a gauge all the time, plus the steps I outlined in an earlier reply.

Reply to
Tegger

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You could survive just fine without a gauge for probably /all/ the time, but the tire-pressure light is not likely to stay off for you.

There's a difference between "safe" or "acceptable" tire inflation, and inflation that will make the TPMS computer happy.

Reply to
Tegger

I understand. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Doug

Yup. 1 pound a month is normal, also pressure will drop as weather turns cold in the fall/winter. Always keep a gauge in the car and check at least once a month. I like the newer digital gauges, they are easier to read even if they cost a few bucks more.

Reply to
Alan Bowler

I have a Pilot Touring and one of the displays shows the PSI of each tire. Should I not trust this and check it with a tire gauge? I have one anyway.

Reply to
billzz

get together with some of your friends and compare results from your cheapo chinese digital tire gauges. i think you'll be surprised at the inconsistency.

Reply to
jim beam

that snippage makes no sense out of context. but because you're so childish about any poster that doesn't play the way you want them to, you're prepared to discard context for avoidance. ridiculous.

of course, if you'd not been playing childish snippage games, you'd have to address the fact that using the method i described, it's possible to manage without a gauge, AND not have pressure warning lights.

[sticks fingers in ears] "la la la la i can't hear you!"
Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:jc94ol$m1k$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

just like the cheapo Harbor Freight digital multimeters,the ones that they were giving away with a coupon. the first one I got was way off.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

FWIW my dealer delivered my Accord with all four tires low as well. Must be trying to save money on air, what with the bad economy and all.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

The put lower air pressure in the tires to give the customer a softer ride, which I dislike. The low pressure light came on in our 2011 CR-V. I check with a metal gauge, and they all were 30 psi. I checked the tires which stated max psi is 44. So, I brought them up to 38. The light has been off ever since. I prefer a firmer ride; it also helps the tires last longer, even though manufacturers are back to putting crappy OEM brand tires on new cars.

Reply to
Green Eggs & NoSpam

lasting longer used to be true for bias-ply tires much more than it is for modern radials - radials have a range where as long as you are within, you're not going to see any significant difference in wear rates because the circumferential tread bands keep the tread flat on the road regardless.

Reply to
jim beam