Dash warning lights

Greetings: I have a 2001 525i, just turned 100K. For the past few months the dash warning lights (ABS BRAKE Traction Control indicators) have been going on intermittently, but lately more often than not. Just the other night, the two rear brake light indicators lit up and stayed on until I turned off the ignition. Next day, back to normal. It should be noted that all systems are functioning properly, whether the lights are on or not. Is this something due to mileage wear and tear? Is this "normal? What is involved in getting these lights to function like they should? The car is in tip top shape otherwise, and has always run like a fine Swiss watch. It has been maintained by either a dealer or other certified BMW tech, and always according to schedule. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you may offer so I know what I may be looking at when I bring it in next week. THANKS!

Reply to
DonP

This is probably real and means the ABS sensors / wheel are impaired, clogged with dirt etc. This is even more likely if the sat nav goes bonkers. Plug in diagnostic tools will give codes to say which one etc.

What happens if you hit the brakes hard - does it skid or does the ABS cut in?

That sound more like an electrical glitch - the sort of one off you get going over a pot hole or similar, or maybe one of the bulbs is on its way out.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The ABS/AST lights are probably the work of a defective wheel speed sensor.

The Brake Light indicator is probably a bad ground. The ground wire is the brown one. Unplug the tail light assemblies and look at the connector contacts and match the brown wire to the connector pins. If the pin is burned, this is your trouble. You can fix the burned ground by placing a jumper around the burnt section of wire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

ABS kicks in. Could be the pot hole thing, though. We have had lots of them go unrepaired 'round these parts lately. Thanks!

Reply to
DonP

Excellent advice, thanks!

Reply to