2012 Civic "Panned"

Hey Elmo... You might enjoy this nostalgic trip:

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

The stirring sound you hear is his game of pocket pool. He got caught, pants down having some fun making glue and is trying to save face now.

Harvey

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yep. Right you are. I missed that.

In any case, it said in the paper many months ago that Honda was extending the current generation by one more year in order to rethink the new generation on account of the new federal regs, so the 2012 is not as "new" as everybody thinks.

Reply to
Tegger

Ah, marketing.

It's amazing people still pay attention to the marketers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You mean where Wayne talks about this:

???

Because Lexus stopped putting in ashtrays years ago, and needed to offer an accessory for those who just had to have one?

Just like I said.

What you think of me, is meaningless--to me and to the world.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

well, anyone who looks at Wayne's post can see it as clear as day.

For some reason, you can't.

Huh.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Cameo" wrote in news:j1flfk$mo5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The photos in the "What the Problem Looks Like" section are of a poor- quality repaint, not of the problem faced by the Odyssey owners in the section immediately following.

The Web page gives a link to the actual Odyssey TSB. You should read it, and look at the photos in that TSB. See how different they are from the pics of the Accord's peeling clear-coat.

Also, I'm not impressed with the claim that the '98 Accord has "almost 100 complaints" of peeling paint. Firstly, that Accord sold in the tens of thousands. Secondly, anybody can complain, but how many of those compliants turned out to have merit? The Web page does not say. Even the NHTSA does not typically respond to "safety" complaints until at least 1,000 have been received, specifically because of the very large number of groundless complaints it receives every day.

That Web page is grossly misleading. Of course. Anybody can post anything on the Internet.

Reply to
Tegger

And there's a guy down on the streetcorner telling us that the aliens have landed and that the world is coming to an end next year. So?

Lexus doesn't say that the IS comes with an ashtray. Funny thing. Of course, in your world, Lexus must be wrong.

That's OK. If Lexus is wrong, then Lexus is wrong. Maybe Lexus made a mistake when making up the brochures. Wouldn't be the first time.

Care to show us a picture of what you're talking about?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That's not an ashtray in an IS.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ah, another one who doesn't understand conversational implicature.

(Or, more likely, one who chooses not to...)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Harvey wrote in news:219m37t18f8hgeno5u9jsjg4rvdbodc5g3@

4ax.com:

I'm kind of puzzled about the whole thing. Honda simply extended what was to be the 2008-2011 generation for one more year on account of the new federal regulations. The 2012 is just the 2011 with some updates.

The 2012 was originally going to be a larger vehicle than the 08-11, but with the new regulations, Honda has had to backtrack and redo the new generation, issuing the 08-11 for one more year so they'd have something to sell in the meantime.

Therefore, the 08-11 generation turns out to be Honda's first 5-year Civic.

Frankly, I was surprised by the showing given the success of the previous generation. I should imagine different Civic models would test quite differently. most especially the SI which has had positive reviews. I do think that Hyundai and Kia are improved to the point where they are competitive with Honda.

Reply to
tww1491

I found this comment interesting:

I've been doing some tests with my 07 Prius. At 55mph on long trips, I can get 55-60mpg. But bump on up to 73mph, which is where I like to live, and it drops to 45-47mpg.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And that comment is pure BS. My 1500 automatic gets near 40mpg on the highway.

Which kind of shows that we really haven't come that far...

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

Compared to what? A Corolla? I've set in both, and the Prius is more comfortable and has nicer appointments.

The cheapest Corolla with an automatic at the local dealer has an MSRP of

17,814. The cheaspest Prius has an MSRP of 24,634. The cheaspest Camry with an automatic has an MSRP of 22,359.

I get the following from FUELEONONMY.GOV for each (assuming the best mileage automatic transmission version):

Corolla 26/29/34 (city/combined/highway) Prius 51/50/48 Camry 22/26/32

I'll use the combined number and assume you drive 12,000 miles per year and gasoline costs $3.60 per gallon.

Gasoline cost per year:

Corolla - 1489.66 (625.66 more per year than the Prius) Prius - 864.00 Camry - 1661.54 (797.54 more per year than the Prius)

Years to save enough on gasoline to cover difference in initial cost (I am not including the time value of money)

Corolla vs Prius - 10.9 years Camry vs Prius - 2.9 years.

If you drive more miles, or gasoline costs more than $3.60, then the Prius is at an even bigger advantage. Including the time value of money works against the Prius, but after 5 years, the Prius is probably going to be a lot more valuable than either the Corolla or the Camry, so I imagine if you include depreciation in the equation, the Prius will look really good. Plus, I think the Prius is much more comfortable than a Corolla.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Agreed on the more comfortable. It's larger enough to be very noticeable in the front seat, and the leg room in the rear is not to be believed.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

...and interest???

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

My bank account is paing about 1/2% these days, so if I paid cash for the car, it hardly matters. Interest is a factor if you have to finance the car, and so is depreciation, and maintenance costs. Just pretend you paid cash for the car and plan to sell it after 5 years.... The yearly finance charge on the different in cost between the Prius and the Corolla is about $420. So if you are financing the car, you probably push out the break even point by another 5 years or so. I couldn't stand the last Corolla I drove for a week, much less 5 years, so at least for me, the Corolla is not a valid comparison to the Prius. The fiance charge on the difference between the Prius and Camry is only around $120 per year, so it hardly matters. And I'll bet if you lease there is almost no difference becasue the Prius will have a high residual.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Care to show the details of that assessment?

Remember the key words here: "similarly sized vehicle". Them are some rocky shoals, so tread carefully.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I only know one person(s?) who actually bought a Prisus (SO's parents). They were shopping for a Camry and bought the Prisu when they could get it for LESS than the Camry!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Looks like Honda has a "bust" with the new Civic per Consumer Reports. The review did not recommend the car which tested near the bottom of similar sedans with weak handling and brakes and degraded quality over the previous Civic . Top rated was the Hyundai Elantra. The "porked-up" Accord is also rated down somewhat with just average reliability. While I am going to hang on to my 06 Accord I4 coupe with 82k miles for quite some time, if I were looking for a new car I would probably find myself looking at Nissan (Altima) -- their 6 speed coupe I4 appeals to me, or Kia or Hyundai. Looks like Honda's heyday is over I am sad to say.

After looking at all of the posts, I am tempted to start something new. Anyone here remember the old Honda CL 77 -- 305 cc. My first Honda when I was in Japan in 1967. Type 1 engine. Loved it. Rode all around the Tokyo area up to Mt Fuji -- down to the black beaches at Enoshima -- a great experience and the only way to see Japan from beer joint to noodle shop. The bike shop was right outside the gate at Yokota AB and owned by a guy by the name Curly who could not pronounce his "r" s -- They could do a tune up and oil change in a matter of minutes. His mechanic would test the bike full blast up the street outside the shop to ensure it was running right -- no helmet and a darn good rider. Things are sure different today and seemingly more complicated.

Reply to
tww1491