31mpg for the Element

"mrdancer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prairiewave.com:

Yep. It's in closed-loop as soon as the ECM receives a valid signal from the primary oxygen sensor, which these days is about 30-40 seconds from a cold start. But it's still in "warmup enrichment" mode until it sees full coolant temp, which can be up to ten minutes from cold, depending.

1 psi per every 10 deg F.

Correct.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:738bg.15109$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Y'know, NE Ohio Bob had sent me his Excel spreadsheet, but I never did anything with it.

I'm now thinking it might be an excellent idea to post any available spreadsheets as part of a FAQ page. Looks like I've got two potential contributors so far, and I can post one of my own as well.

If the data are valid, they would serve as an excellent real-world mileage resource. I could post a raw Excel form, and readers would be free to download and populate it, then send it to me for posting. Comments?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On 5/18/2006 9:29 PM TeGGeR® spake these words of knowledge:

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'll send this to you, Tegger, and I'll leave my data in it. Do with it as you will.

Dave, you can get it from me if you'll email me: dave - at - kelsen - dot - us, or provide me with a place to send it. I forgot that at the moment, I don't have a webspace to post it on.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Before Metric appeared on the scene? Oh, you mean when the abacus was still widely used.

-Dave (running) ;-)

Reply to
Dave L

Email sent to ya. Or if Tegger puts it up on his website, those of us interested could grab it there too.

Thanks!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I don't buy it. I don't notice any effect on the car's performance when I roll down the windows. Turning on the A/C is like throwing out an anchor.

I just bought a scan gauge monitor that plugs into the OBD-II receptacle and displays instantaneous milage and a lot of other data. I will test the window up/down AC on/off controversy and report results.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

You had better duck while you're running, youngster .

Reply to
Brian Smith

Think about it. Travelling with the windows down, can only reduce mileage performance as the drag on the vehicle has been greatly increased. Talk about anchors!

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Gordon McGrew" wrote

I've never noticed a decrease in mileage when the AC was in use, and that's half the year.

Reply to
Howard Lester

My civic is getter better mileage than the published EPA ratings. Also better than the new Fit EPA ratings. It is better than my 1990 civic which was smaller and lighter. I read many people were complaining the EPA ratings to too good for most cars, especially the hybrids. Cant complain.

Reply to
rick++

I typed 13 years of of a 1990 civic costs into a spreadsheet inlcuding maintenance, repairs, insurance, taxes and ticket fines. I think the total came to about four times the purchase price or about 20 cents a mile over 222K miles. Maintanence and repairs have been less on my 2004 so far. I expect my first non-scheduled maintence to be new front tires for the 3rd winter season. I find buying tires a little early to make a noticeable difference in bad weather driveability and relatively inexpensive.

Reply to
rick++

One can hardly count driver's irresponsibility (ticket fines), as part of the operational costs of a vehicle.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I get 16-18 around town (99% of my driving) and 23-25 on the rare long trips. That's on a 2003, with about 14K miles now. I'm a firm but not aggressive driver. Most of my trips are 2.6 miles to work or 7 miles to the location from which my bicycle club rides.

The lousy mileage is one of the few downsides of the vehicle.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

I have a 90 4runner. No power but I get 20 in town and 25 on the road. The poor gas milage is one of downsides but then I can't find a vehicle which does everything I want and gets good mileage too.

Reply to
grinder

Youngster? lol. Funny how people (even at work) think I'm in my early to mid 20s. They're only about a decade off. ;-)

Reply to
Dave L

That still makes you a youngster from my viewpoint. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Dave L" wrote in news:1OKdnd9FBpIUo snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's up!

and distribute as you wish. THIS is the correct way to calculate mileage, provided each fillup is to max.

I'll eventually make a new file with clear fields and post it on a new page entitled something like "how to record your mileage".

What would be excellent is for people to do their own population of the spreadsheet with their own accurate real-world data, then send the resulting XLS to me. I think it would make an awesome real-life resource for gas mileage data.

When I get a moment, I'll transfer my own data into a copy of that XLS and post that too. Got ten years of data to put up.

Thanks very much to Dave Kelsen. Great contribution.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:I5ebg.23939$Qq.16524@clgrps12:

And I'll chase that young whippersnapper to the ends of the earth, once I find my cane that is...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"rick++" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Send it to me.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97C8CD40B2492tegger@207.14.116.130:

Actually, that's not even necessary, as Dave Kelsen pointed out on Thursday. You just have to make sure your calculated interval is bracketed by consistent fills.

Reply to
TeGGeR®