31mpg for the Element

Yeah, I thought along those lines after I posted. I'm used to people seeing me and then finding out my actual age. Still have friends say I haven't really changed much from high school. Still get carded in a restaurant sometimes if I get a glass of wine or beer with dinner. Not sure to take that as a compliment or insult!

I digress. Now, how did the topic get changed the mpg of an Element to this conversation??? lol

Reply to
Dave L

Let me know when you find your cane so I can grab my walker....

Reply to
Dave L

Excellent - Thank you Dave Kelsen and Tegger!

I've still got my mpg tracking for my past cars, except my '89 Prelude Si. Gave that away when I got rid of the car. Now I really wish I kept it. This Accord is the first new car I bought so I've got to fill out the spreadsheet too - except the cost. Never tracked it.

Thanks again,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:738bg.15109$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

I'm playing with your Excel spreadsheet right now. So far it's fascinating. I've only got 24 entries for 1991 in there so far, and it's already a real eye-opener.

I'm up to 4,419 miles at the moment. Maximum mileage (so far about 25mpg) was achieved at approx 1,500 miles. It's been very stable from 1,500 to

4,400.

It will be interesting to see what happens as it nears my current 28mpg at

267,000 miles.

Hey people, do you see what can be revealed if you keep detailed records?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I just recently returned from a 5 day road in my 2003 Element and I was getting a consistent 28MPG on the long flat highway stretches with the cruise control/AC on, tire pressure about 36psi, doing 58-65mph. That was only on the days I was on the highway 95% of the time. Otherwise, I normally get from from 20 to 24mpg depending on my highway/city mix. These figures are based on the acutual miles driven after a fill divided by the exact gallons used during the fill up. Maybe if I turned off the AC and cruised at

50MPH I "might" gain an extra 1-3MPG, but don't plan on me to experiment doing this. Mike
Reply to
Mike in Texas

LOL! It happens.

Reply to
Brian Smith

You probably get better gas mileage with the AC on and the windows closed than the AC off and the windows open.

My '90 4Runner gets 20 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway. Of course that is with a 22R-E 4 cylinder. Very very rugged but only puts out 116hp. Takes about 2 miles to get up to highway speed.

Reply to
grinder

IIRC, the EPA ratings were something like 28/35 city/hwy. In my defense, I'm driving the car mostly in a small town (pop. 14k) and have an easy

8-mile commute to work (have to watch out for deer/turkeys rather than traffic jams). I also tend to keep my revs below 3krpm. I'm not a frugal driver, but there are enough slow people on the road that I try not to get into too big of a hurry - the high gas prices don't seem to be reducing highway traffic at all. Those 850-mile trips are also on pretty level ground (from TX to South Dakota). One thing is for sure, the car will get better mpg driving with the A/C on in 90-degree heat, than it will driving along in 20- to 30-degree temps. One last caveat: I've gotten the higher mpg with Goodyear TripleTreads with a few extra psi over recommended. Seems like the highest I've gotten with the original tires (Bridgestone, IIRC) was only 38 or 39mpg

That's certainly a possibility. OTOH, I drove my '92 Dakota V8 to low-fuel light constantly, always using the cheapest gas I could find, and the engine, injectors and original fuel pump were still running like new when I sold the truck with 167k miles on it. As an aside, with my Accord, there is still 4 gallons left in the 18-gallon tank when the low-fuel light comes on - the most I've ever put in is 15 gallons, and I was getting pretty nervous when I waited that long.

Reply to
mrdancer

I believe the '05 is rated at 26/34 so it's not too far off. I'm not a frugal driver either but also don't race the engine. As you've shown, the driver does have a big impact on gas mileage.

I've only driven a few times when my gas light came on. It was normally from long trips, mainly highway driving. The Accord does have a good sized tank. My '05 has a 17.1 gallon tank. Most I've ever put in was around 15 too. I know what you mean about getting nervous - driving on the highway with the light glowing.... looking for a gas station!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L