88 Accord won't idle well at all.

My '88 Accord LX, 4 cyl, carb does kind of the same thing. Rough Idle. Runs/cruises fine otherwise when you're stepping on the gas. Won't stall on the rough idle, but it wants to, seemingly. 133,000 miles, auto, carb, and otherwise is doing the trick.

Why buy new if used can still do? I got the car for free.

FL Hondadriver From: "...." Subject: Re: 88 Accord won't idle, and stalls when warm Date: Sunday, October 08, 2006 3:38 PM

Is that little solenoid gizmo > My 88 Accord, with automatic transmission and carburator and no AC,

won't idle after it is warmed up and it stalls unless I keep my foot > slightly on the gas peddle durring a traffic light. It was like this > all durring the summer months. > > Otherwise, the car runs fine and with good power at normal speed. > > I'm sure that the mixture is too lean durring idle, because if I spray > some carb cleaner directly into the air cleaner when it is struggling > to idle, the engine speeds back up to normal idle and beyond. This > indicates that it is getting too much air durring idle. > > And, I did check for vacume leaks by spraying the same carb cleaner > down under the air cleaner to see if the engine speeds up . It did not. > So. no vacume leaks, and carburator base plate probably o.k. too. > > But here is a hint. The temperture dropped just a few degrees this > week. We had our first light rain and we now have the highs of 65 > instead of 75 or higher. And, the car now idles good. > > So, please tell me what is going wrong ? Upon reading through some > threads I see that people had discussions pertaining to PCV valves, > EGR valve, IAC (idle air control) or sometimes called EAC ?, and > Oxygen sensor. > > I would like to fix this thing myself.
Reply to
Driving A Shitbox that still r

Still sounds like vac leaks in both cases. I guess it's possible the idle ports are clogged a bit. You need to check all the devices that run off vac for diaphram leaks, etc. Also all those vac hoses.. Get some carb cleaner and spray the carb out real good. Spray it into the little bowl vent pipes so it fills into the bowl. Then goose the engine good to run it out, while still giving a shot of cleaner into the carb while running. I assume the idle speed is probably set normally, but something is whacking it out...Most likely when you fix the problem, the idle speed will be back up to normal. If not, reset it to specs. One example...That vent shut off diaphram at the front of the carb on the drivers side is a real common leaker. It gets gas fumes that eat the rubber up. I bet both of you have that about crapped out. And thats just one leak.. Could have more. Is the engine vacuum sensistive? IE: mash the brakes and see if the car almost dies out, if power brakes.. There is no IAC on the carb models. That a FI thang.. I'd check the PVC and EGR valves though. IE: a stuck open EGR valve can sure whack out the idle.. :( The PVC should click when you pinch the hose off, but if it's old, I'd just replace it. They are cheap. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Check out this post...

It describes one very important cause of vaccuum leaks in 86-89 carb hondas.

Driv> My '88 Accord LX, 4 cyl, carb does kind of the same thing. Rough Idle.

Reply to
Greg

Greg wrote:

Yep, thats the one... Mine was leaking, but was intact enuff to still hold it open when driving. A vac leak though... I took the spring out of mine, applied some good adhesive to seal the diaphram leak, and put it back together. I plugged the vac line, and don't use it anymore. Your case with the smog was very similar to mine. I too flunked the NOx at the high speed test. I had a free retest.. Sooo. I decided, well the cat is working fairly ok, but maybe a new one will give me that extra edge to squeak by. Well...Nope, I actually got a worse score on the new cat, but I had diddled with the mixture, and might have been more lean.. Also, I had to wait a good while for the 2nd test, and didn't have a hot car for the test. I did warm it up, but I guess the rpm's were not high enough to really get the cat hot. The 2nd pass, I flunked both the low and high speed NOx, but my HC and CO kept getting lower. Actually, CO was

0.0 every test I took. Sooo. %$@&^%... :( The tester did give me a free 3rd test though, as he thought probably the car was too cold. I think he was wondering how I got 400 ppm more NOx with a new cat, vs the old one... Me too... The new cat was basically a waste of money, and although it seems to do better at HC cleanup, it's NOx reduction actually seems worse than the old stock cat. But I was running real lean, and thats no good for NOx reduction. So I got to poking around, and found that I was getting too much air. After messing with this car for a while, I'm coming to the conclusion the feedback CPU is not working right on my car. I don't think it's metering the air right. I think it's on all the time, and is does stay kicked in when I run the rpm up. It's supposed to die off above 3k or so, as far as I know. Also the voltages to my ac idle up aren't right.. But.. I had to pass the 3rd test to get the inspection out of my hair.. Sooo... I installed a duct tape metering device in the air suction line, with just a small hole. Enough to give me a near proper mixture, just a tad rich according to the O2.. I also put more premium fuel in it, and decided to retard the timing a bit before I took the test. I kept the car hot before the test. The results.. I passed finally, :) but just barely.. My NOx scores were near the edge, and equally so for low and high speed. Using my overall scores to judge, my car is still running too lean. So I still have more work to do to get it all right. I'm starting to think the "puter" under the seat is flaked out. My door lock module on the other side is out too... Maybe a flood? It is a "salvage title" car.. The only deal is the interior is real clean... ?? Who knows.. BTW, on the first tests I used the proper propane method to set the mixture.. It was too lean to pass NOx with all that air... Once you revved the motor, it leaned way out.. You could watch the O2 nosedive.. I fattened it up a good bit, and thought I would maybe be too rich, but nope, my test scores still seem to show lean running even with my "air restricter".. The car is running pretty good. Idle is real smooth, but it always was.. It's running better at high speed with the fatter mix. Less misfires.. I think it needs a new brain though... I'd like to get it going right.. I guess I have a year to mess with it before the next NOx torture session rolls around.. MK
Reply to
nm5k