90 Civic driver's door tensioner? pusher?

I'm going through and trying to fix all the current annoying problems with my 90 Civic. The driver's door has a problem in that the extender/ pusher/tensioner thing, that keeps the door open, has been broken for a long time. This is the thing that comes out of the front jamb and pushes out on the door--a thin rod with a pin in it. The car side, inside the front of the car, flops around and creaks, and the door isn't under any tension.

What is this thing called? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance, Derek Seattle

Reply to
dex3703

if it's the anchor point inside the frame, you can't practically or safely fix it. the anchor is inside the door column which is spot welded together. to disassemble the column is impractical. to cut away sufficient to allow you to re-weld the anchor would compromise safety. bottom line, yes, it's annoying but it ain't gonna kill ya and only you'll ever know about it.

Reply to
jim beam

"dex3703" wrote in news:1172334297.201025.78790 @j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

It's the door check strap, its pin and its bracket.

Take the car to somebody with a MIG welder. Most auto garages have one..

Pull the door open so the check strap's bracket is up against the door pillar and hold it there by pulling the door open.

With a grinder, take off some of the paint in that area.

Drop a blob or two of MIG weld to tack the strap bracket to the pillar's outside face. No problem.

Reply to
Tegger