Sloppy door hinge on XJ

Hi All,

The top driver's side door hinge on my '90 4-door XJ has too much play and needs to be fixed. Stopped by the dealer to get a pin and bushing, but all he could sell me was the pin.

Should I bother trying to replace just the pin or is it a sure thing that I'll need a new bushing too? The hinge itself looks to be in good shape and appears to be properly fixed to the A pillar. I'd rather not shell out the bucks for a new hinge assembly.

Any tips on this fix? Anyone got any good links or FSM excerpts?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I replaced the same one on my son's 89. It's just a plane roll pin that can be gotten at any hardware store and was easy to replace. It maay have a plastic plug in the top. I took a metal dowl that was 1/4" and turned down one end so it would line up inside the old pin. I then inserted it into the old pin and drove it down enough to get the new one started. I then used the dowl in the new one to drive it in. As the new one entered it pushed the old one out. It was supprisingly easy.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Hi JoBo,

Thanks! One question: were you able to do this without removing the door from the hinges?

Thanks again,

Steve

Jo Bo wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Just so you know the entire fsm in pdf format is on line in various places for the 88 xj and it would apply to your 1990. I dont know exactly where it is these days but with some searching you should be able to find it. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
attnews

Steve pass me a valid email addy ;)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Yes I did it with out removing the door. It took all of maybe 5 minutes. That's after I thought about turning down the end of a 1/4" rod to guide the rod over the pin.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You've got mail.

Steve

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Hey JoBo,

Took a whack at it today with a 1/4" bolt but the pin didn't budge. I'll have to find something longer than the bolt so I can whack it harder without risking a hit to the door. In the mean time it's soaking in liquid wrench. Torch standing by.

When you say that you "turned down one end" of your dowel do you mean that you bent it so it would line up with the pin under the lip of the door, or do you mean you sort of sharpened the tip to fit in the end of the pin?

My lower hinge is also shot so I'm gonna try to replace that pin too. Did you happen to do the lower one as well using the 5-minute dowel with the door on?

Steve

Jo Bo wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Grim. I hope my experience is more 'JoBo' than 'Brian'.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Do you have an older AMC Cherokee, that's made to be serviceable? > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Steve

Just have to look for it when I get done working this week, don't worry haven't forgot, I backed it up last week when I did the format c: thingy (i hope ..lol)

Snow..

Reply to
Snow

As a guy working for another auto mfg called them:

"Damned-near Chrysler"

It wasn't meant in a complimentary manner either.

Reply to
wkearney99