90 Civic Si stalling problem

My 1990 Civic Si stalls as I am coming to a stop less than 25 mph when the gas tank is at half or less than half. When it is over half it runs perfect. So far I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. One thing I noticed which was weird my friend got diagrams from our local honda dealer for replacing the fuel pump. It is supposed to be located under the rear seat under a silver panel. I disassembled this and all I found was the fuel gauge. After dropping the tank I located the fuel pump on the back left side of the gas tank. My suspiscion is that an aftermarket fuel pump was put in the wrong area of the tank thus when the tank is less than half full then pump is not pulling fuel. This makes sense to me because when coming to a stop the gas would shift to the front of the tank(where the fuel pump should be located) and since it is located at the back of the tank the fuel pump is just sucking fumes and very little gasoline.

Does this make sense, any suggestions? My next step was to relocate the fuel pump at the OEM location(under the rear seat) and perhaps it would reach the bottom of the tank better and would fix my problem?

Reply to
Ecoopr05

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

There may be baffles in the tank to limit fuel sloshing around.

I'd get an OEM fuel pump and install it,putting it back the way it was originally. You may need a new fuel tank,if the aftermarket fuel pump needed new holes for installation,or if it's some custom or oddball fuel tank..

Reply to
Jim Yanik

not on that vintage civic - the pump can only be accessed by dropping the tank.

the sender unit, that's correct.

possible, but the pump is correctly located. make sure the feed pipe's not bent and goes to the bottom of the tank properly. is the tank dented at all?

i'd make sure there are no other problems first.

again, look for other problems first. has the idle been set correctly and does the iacv work properly? if you do all that, drop the tank and check the pump. in fact, you may as well replace it since dropping the tank is a real pita and you don't want to be doing it again any time soon.

Reply to
jim beam

As far as the layout of the fuel gauge/pump I was incorrect. Everything is assembled as it should be just was a bad connector for the sock filter Okay so I put in my old fuel pump and noticed there wasn't a joint connector or a sock filter hooked up. So I emptied out the fuel tank completely and found the joint connector/sock filter floating around on the bottom of the tank. I hooked this back up and reassembled everything and it seemed to run fine(I think it is because the joint connector and sock filter add about 1 1/2'' of length to reach the bottom of the tank which makes a dramatic difference in suction for the pump). The next day I was driving it and it got down below half tank again and started freaking out worse than before. I am guessing the connector just sucks and won't keep the filter connected. My next step is to go down to autozone and get a new connector(maybe a hose perhaps

2'' or so long) with some clamps and reattach everything and pray it holds and the problem is fixed.
Reply to
Ecoopr05

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Very interesting work. Did you find any rust or water in the tank?

When you pull the pump again, would it be possible to take photos?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Okay so I dropped the tank and pulled the fuel pump out. The joint connector was missing along with the sock filter. I went to autozone got a new sock filter. The design had changed instead of having a joint connector to the sock filter the sock filter just connects to the bottom of the fuel pump and the gasket goes overtop of it for a snug firm fit.

So In the end: Problem: Fault joint connector that connects to the sock filter on the bottom of the fuel pump

Solution: New sock filter without the joint connector.

This had to be the weirdest solution as I have asked many mechanics about my problem and none had this as a solution so I guess I was pretty lucky. Now my 90' Civic Si is running sweet. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Reply to
Ecoopr05