91 Civic engine swap

Hello all! Gonna change a engine from one car to another.Both are 91s. Ones a standard trans and the other auto. .My question is can u do the swap with out removing the trans in either of them? Just the engines.Might take less time if possible..Thanks

Reply to
Jay

"Jay" wrote in news:UhNfg.7819$S61.5096@edtnps90:

You are...seriously...new at this, aren't you?

A '91 Civic is not remotely the same as, say, a RWD '75 Corolla.

Yank the engine/tranny as a unit, or drop the tranny by itself. There will be zero time savings attempting to leave the tranny in place, and it is probably impossible to do this in any case. I can't imagine you'd have enough room to push the motor far enough left to disengage the input shaft from the clutch.

Also, if you swap auto for manual or vice versa, you WILL need to change whole lot of other stuff, including the ECU.

Who dreamed this one up, anyway? You?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Actually I have changed the engine in this car befor. I was arguing with someone that you couldn't do just an engine swap without removing the tans. I am keeping both trans with each car they came from. I am only swaping the engines.The car with the auto is in mint shape but the engine is really tired.The one with the standard tranny has a rusty beat up body but an engine with low kms. So hence swaping the engines. Keep the good one and sell the other. I hope that explains it more.

Reply to
Jay

"Jay" wrote in news:1x3gg.7930$S61.369@edtnps90:

I still don't think it's possible to pull the input shaft out of the clutch or torque converter with the tranny installed. You don't nearly have enough room to move the engine to the left. There's barely enough room for a timing belt change.

Civics of that era had different engine controls. For example, automatics had EGR and manuals did not, which means the heads are different, as are the ECUs. If you wanted to put an engine from an auto into a manual, you'd have to transfer the ECU, all the EGR hardware and wiring, and lots of other stuff to make sure the Check Engine light would stay quiet. Or else you'd have to know exactly what you were doing in order to make the existing ECU think the engine was the same.

This is a big project. And if your state has an emissions inspection, you will need to be certain you've transferred everything over that needed to be, otherwise you'll fail.

It would be far, far better for you to locate an automatic Civic from which to rob the engine.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

It seems to me we had this sort of thread a couple months ago... if not here, maybe in alt.autos.acura. The upshot is: it's a bunch easier to remove the engine and tranny as an assembly. Come reinstallation time, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to align the input shaft of the tranny when the gearbox is fastened down and you have to maneuver the engine to get it lined up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee