91 Honda Accord LX

About 2 months ago, i had my Honda towed to my local auto repair shop to have a leak fix thinking that would solve my car problem. However when I went to pick it up I noticed that something was still wrong with my car. Whenever I come to a complete stop and press on the gas pedal to accelerate, the car stalls at first then it will pick up. Also while driving I notice that there is a burning smell and the car suddenly shuts off. Can someone give me some type of direction or I might just have to sell it and get another car.

Reply to
carla_billington

-------------------------

It sounds like your coolant reservoir and rad need to be looked into (literally) and topped up. It probably runs great for the first five minutes then acts up, right?

You've probably been overheating your Honda so check the owner's manual and start doing these 'checks' for yourself.

Buy a gallon of Honda Premix coolant too. Never put tap water in a Honda rad. It's called Hondacide.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

carla snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net/14/08

9: snipped-for-privacy@u3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com

I think you might have more than one problem. I am only going to venture a guess at the burning smell accompanied by a stall/shut off. I think that might be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Not a hard or costly repair. Just replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch not the key tumblers. The hot smell is from excessive resistance in the switch. When it loses contact the car will die just as if you had turned the key and shut it off. The stalling or hesitation may be related but I think not. Even expert mechanics often miss this but it is pretty common in all cars even the 90's Accords.

Reply to
delbert brecht

| it is pretty common in all cars even the 90's Accords.

Never heard of. My '90 accord's switch failed @ just 68,800 km, no smell came out, new switch when turned off still leaks 75 mv toward windows' motors' relay, not good design / quality control.

Reply to
TE Chea

oh boy! you know you have a blown head gasket..

Reply to
bi241