'92 Accord problem

This is a beast of a problem; and one of the first car problems I've ever had that my dad doesn't know how to fix. The story starts last summer, when the last factory speaker in my 92 Accord went out. I got a CD player and 2 speakers for Christmas, and had the CD player installed in January by Circuit City. I installed the speakers myself(in the front). The speakers had no mounts that fit my car, so they were kind of 'dangling'. I enjoyed my music for about a week, but then the speakers started cutting out--both at once, which made me think that it was the CD player, not my installation. Then, the CD player stopped working altogether. No power.

About 3 weeks ago, I had circuit city look at my CD player. They replaced a fuse under my hood(the time in my car had been at 1:00 every time I started it--this fixed it), and replaced my player, saying that something had shorted out. I thanked them and went home to check my connections. My speakers still looked fine, and I couldn't see how they could have contacted anything in my door. I left my door panels off, and drove to see my friend(for his opinion).

On the way there, the speakers started cutting out again. =(

Then, something even worse. On the way there, my RPM and MPH gauges both dropped to 0. The car was running fine, so I continued. Then, about a minute later, the car 'jumped' or 'bucked', a little like I had started it in drive...it revved for a second, and then stopped. I decided to pull over and look for obvious problems. I didn't find any. I turned off the engine and called home. When I tried to start the car a few minutes later, nothing happened. It didn't turn over or anything.

Everyone who has heard this problem thinks it could be the computer or the (something) solenoid, but I'm still stumped. What could this be? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
dcreamer0001

It sounds to me like they messed something up during installation or something has come loose.

You'll need some familiarity with a multimeter and some basic electrical troubleshooting skills.

I'd check power and ground to the player: See if you indeed see 12V measuring from something that should be positive (cigarette lighter middle connection) to what they assume is ground. Then measure from the what they think is 12V (both constant and accessory) to what you know is ground. If could be that one of these connections is hooked up to the wrong point or is loose. For instance, some idiots hook hook a radio up to the fuel pump relay since that is live when the car is running - that would be a mistake on their part.

They may have tied the player ground to a bolt that is used to tie panels together electrically. If, for instance, that connection is loose, it may cause all sorts of weird trouble.

To troubleshoot your car and get it running again, I'd disconnect the

12V switched and accessory power supply to the player (tape the hot side up) to eliminate them to be part of the problem.

See if you can get a schematic to your car to help you troubleshoot the problem. FYI,

has free repair manuals and some contain schematics.

Good hunting. Remco

Reply to
Remco

Beyond Remco's advice, I would also recommend checking the engine-to-chassis ground. If that is bad there is no end to the weird symptoms. In my daughter's '93 the engine is connected to the battery negative terminal, and a short wire goes from the battery to the body ground. Make sure that ground is tight, and maybe even make sure there isn't paint under the ground.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Update! I'm trying to get a friend(works at a Honda place) to help me with the things you suggested(thanks for the replies). When I try to start the car now, nothing happens. It doesn't turn over, it doesn't even have that little 'click'. Nothing. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Reply to
dcreamer0001

When you turn the key on, do you see any idiot lights (alternator, oil, etc)? Does the dome light turn on at all, either when you open the door or set the switch to on?

First check the obvious: the battery cables and connections - both ends. One fat red one should go between the starter and battery. One fat black one goes between the battery and chassis. Clean them both - especially the black one.

Reply to
Remco