93 Accord stalling

1993 Accord, 125,000 km, has always run and started like a charm for the 2 years I have owned it. Then, last Saturday, I left the car wash (temperature just around freezing) and went 2 blocks. Idled at a stop light, and car stalled when taking off from the light. Car would crank, but wouldn't start. Called a tow truck, and tried starting on and off for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, it started, surged a few times, and then ran perfectly. No missing, nothing. Figured this was a fluke, maybe something got wet. It has run perfectly for about 4 days, and then today it stalled when turning into the work parking lot (engine fully warmed up, about a 20 minute partial highway drive). Again, turns over and won't start. This time I took it to my mechanic. I have read some posts about main relays - but they often seem related to ambient temperature - i.e. hot temperatures that wouldn't be an issue here. Could this still be a main relay?
Reply to
Microfiche

Based on year of Honda, age, and symptoms, I would first suspect the ignition coil. With age, it will begin to fail, particularly after warmup.

Did the car re-start at the mechanic's?

Any idea how old the ignition coil is?

If it is the ignition coil, buy only a new OEM one. Online OEM Honda sites carry it for around $80. The diagnosis and repair are neither difficult nor time consuming. Should run around $200 total at an independent shop.

Of course, the problem could be something else. This is just one very common problem that arises with this vintage of Honda, and it is consistent with your Honda's symptoms.

If you have not had a tuneup (new OEM plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter, timing check) done on the car, I recommend it as well. This will maximize the life of the ignition coil and igniter.

"Microfiche" wrote

Reply to
Elle

"Microfiche" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

To be sure,you could pull the main relay,resolder it and ELIMINATE it as a problem source,at little cost,if you already have the proper tools. A new relay costs $50 USD or more.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well, ended up (at least I hope) being a bad distributor. There ws a crack in it on the inside, that I am guessing would exapand when it warmed up and break a connection. That is quite the distributor - a whole lot more complex than the one I remember in my '69 Biscayne! And of course, a whole lot more money...

Reply to
Microfiche

ISTM from my reading here and experience with my 91 Civic that c. early 1990s Hondas require one new distributor housing in their lifetimes, say around ten+ years. The housing's wire harness, bearing, rotor shaft threads, and more can fail on them. A new one--at the right time--is a good investment, IMO. My Civic is on its second.

"Microfiche" wrote

Reply to
Elle

| "Microfiche" | > car stalled when taking off | > wouldn't start.

mysterios ( Mr know all ) like him deserve troubles

Reply to
TE Chea

Huh?

Reply to