A/C Condenser: Replace or Not?

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan.

Just two days ago, at about 184,000 miles, I had a new radiator and hoses put on (leaking problems).

Even though the a/c condenser is still in working order, the fins are looking shady.

Should I wait until it fails, or keep it while the going is good?

Reply to
warlock162

Please define shady. If they are bent, there are tools that can be purchased that will straighten them enough for good air flow. If the condenser is dirty/plugged, use some cleaner such as simple green or any of the orange products and spray it will and then let it sit for a while and then use a hose with a spray nozzle and from the top to bottom hose the condenser down and you should get most of the dirt off. You may have to repeat the process. Don't shoot directly into the condenser or you will just blast the junk back into an area that is hard to get to. It is much easier to clean the condenser when you have the radiator out. You can then do a more complete job by puting the cleaner on the front and blast with the hose from the back of the condenser.You can also take it to an AC shop and they can do the job and the cost should not be excessive.

Reply to
maumee

I'd just keep running it. If it still seems to cool ok, it's good nuff for gov work. The definitive way to test would be to check the head pressure. "high side". Most would need to go to a shop to do that. But, if it ain't cycling off on the high pressure switch, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't get a new coil unless you are sure you are going to keep that car a long time. At 184k, it's going to need other various work as it putts along.. The price of a coil, with labor, etc, ain't worth it in my opinion. I might consider it if it were a real problem, and I knew I was going to keep the car. But you aren't having a real problem at this point. Be gentle if you try to wash the coil. When they get "flaky", it's easy to knock fins off with just the pressure of a water hose. I would leave it alone unless it's really filthy. And then just hose it "head on" Not at angles to the coil. That can blast fins away. MK

Reply to
nm5k