How can I safely depressurise A/C to replace condenser?

My condenser has a leak and I wish to replace it with one from a working system on a car before I dispose of it. How can I (should I) vent the gas to the atmosphere? Is it even legal -- the car's 1998 and R134a?

Thanks,

Thomas Hood

Reply to
Thomas Hood

In message , Thomas Hood writes

I would imagine all the gas has gone by now anyway. When I replaced my condenser last year there was nothing there when I disconnected the pipes.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

No, it's not legal - get a professional in.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

you shouldn't. preferably get it emptied by a professional who will recover the refrigerant.

But if you insist, on a dry day, get everything ready and as much undone as possible first , then undo a union a little and allow the gas to slowly escape, that way it won't take a lot of oil out with it, when the hissing stops change the bit and reseal the system as quickly as possible, then get it vacuumed, leak checked and refilled.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Well regardless of the law, I wonder what the best option for the environment really is?

Having been round many of S.E. London's scrap yards over the years I have strong doubts they bother to contain these gasses on disassembly

--regardless of the regulation. Sure they'll probably have the kit to get whatever piece of paper Whitehall demands, but is it ever used?

For arguments sake, I think there are 3 scenarios: a) I vent the gas to the atmosphere and reuse the old condenser b) the scrap-yard vents the gas to the atmosphere, the condenser is melted down and I have to purchase a new condenser whose manufacture (aluminium smelting, brazing etc.) is further deleterious to the environment. c) the scrap-yard properly contains the gas, but the environmental impact of the new condenser manufacture is still arguably worse than releasing a bit of R134a (I've no idea if this is true, but gut feeling would suggest it is)

Should I have more faith in Steptoe &c.?

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Hood

Any decent scrap place now has the kit and uses it. I now understand that you want to recover a good bit from a car before you scrap it? If so then just release the gas if your conscience will let you, it only has a relatively short life (8 years IIRC) before it has no damaging effects . (R12 is 100 years)

1kg of 134a has the same greenhouse gas effect as 1200kg of CO2 so it may be more enviro friendly to buy rather than release. 134a has no ozone depleting chlorine.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'd imagine if they have the kit, they will use it and reclaim the gas.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Shoot it with a .177 air rifle? You'll be in little danger of it blowing out in your face as an ice cold liquid at least.

Reply to
Doki

It is the phase change from liquid under to pressure to free gas that creates the ice cold freezing effect.

Reply to
Elder

The message from Elder contains these words:

It still chills the liquid though. The faster moving more energetic molecules leave the surface, leaving the average energy (and thus the temperature) of the remaining molecules in the fluid lower.

Reply to
Guy King