a/c leak question

my 94 honda civic ex a/c freon leaks out through the valves used to measure pressure and add freon. is it possible to purchase and replace just these valves? the caps on them arent any good either. where can i get new caps? my main problem is that i dont know what the valves or the caps are called. can anyone give me the name of this part so i can try and locate a set of new ones? thanks in advance

Reply to
dc

In the '94, isn't that R-134a? It would be right around the transition, one way or the other. Anyway, if it is R134a I strongly recommend having a professional do the repair and recharge it. The repair will probably be minimal cost, and the rest of the service is worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks, Linuxiac. I see from your other thread that you are experienced in A/C and I appreciate your input. I'm a shadetree mechanic who did well enough with R12, but the first time I tried to identify the proper charge with R134a by ear and thermometer I went right past the proper charge without ever finding it. Maybe there were uncondensibles in the system or something, but I decided I wasn't up to R134a. Leaving it to the pros is good advice.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Although they may appear to be automotive type 'Shrader' pressure valves, they use a special and tough, neoprene gasket, for the seals, and a pro can use a special tool to swap them out, without losing all the charge!

Or, can pump it down, change and vacuum pump, then recharge, all a much more expensive thing... The core tool costs less than $50 most places! ACSource lists the core removal/installer tool for $35.85, part #91490, cores are extra... BUT, THESE are all for R12/R-22 systems, with the screw valve.

Valve cores start at about $1.95 here:

?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=236 Big trouble is that you don't know the exact one until you have the old one out! So, you would need to order up some to start with.

Then, again, you need to do the entire discharge/recharge thing for the valves for an R134A system!

And, please wear gloves, goggles, protective gear, as refrigerant can give you frostbite. If uncertain, please just let a pro do the work!

Reply to
Linuxiac

From what I understand, the volume of 134 vs. 12 is also a factor. It takes less 134 than 12 to recharge a system and over charging can result in catastrophic compressor failure...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I believe it. We were working on my son's '94 Integra and I thought I was hearing little slugs hit the compressor. We shut the A/C off immediately and I told him to leave it off until it was professionally serviced.

Maybe I'm just spooked now, but that was enough for me. I had been warned but thought I was slick with mad skilz

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Both of my "cheap" Hondas are A/C equipped but not functional and are set up for R12. I have all the stuff to convert both, ("o" rings/adapters, drier and orifice tube equivalent), plus oil 'n ample R134. A friend operates a Honda repair shop and he will evacuate both systems, install return filters and and a recharge. I'm confident that both will function satisfactory but may eventually need new hoses.

One of the benefits of having two 2nd generation Civics is that parts have become dirt cheap and I'm stocking up.

I have no plans to "sweat out" this upcoming Texas summer!

JT

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Sounds good. It stings a bit that I am not up to doing A/C any more, but I'll get over it. Glad you have a pro connection!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This might, in fact be the trouble that is causing a few newer Hondas compressors to seize! I will note the charge sticker on mine, when I go into the shop in the AM, because it could be as simple as a mis-typed fill amount of R-134A!

Or, perhaps, the inner hoses peel off, and contaminate the compressor?

Well, I hope to find the reason. Ours was running smooth and quiet, and "bam!" the clutch blew out! Our Honda CR-V, built 9/02 and registered as a 03, was serviced at the large dealer, upon our purchase of it, used.

There was a small anti-freeze leak, and they did a fairly big repair job to fix that, possibly having to evacuate the AC system, and then, might have over-charged it. We'll know more this time tomorrow.

Reply to
Linuxiac